Souvenir Boxed Set

General talk about OMD

Moderator: OMD Official

Re: Souvenir Boxed Set

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:41 pm

It seems that the offical OMD store has sourced another 100 copies of the sold-out box set. I think that means fewer for the other outlets, rather than them producing more. Grab one if you have not already. You know you want to
Time flies but I am not yet old
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby Cork » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Will the remix of don't go be available on CD?

Will the 2 CD set be available in the stores?
Cork

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:49 am

Cork wrote:Will the remix of don't go be available on CD?
Unlikely. That remix (click here if you are reading this and wondering "what remix?") is a fan-created mix so very much unofficial. However, the reaction to it has been universally positive so I wonder if the band might get behind it.

Cork wrote:Will the 2 CD set be available in the stores?
It is scheduled to release on Amazon on 4th October. As for other stores, well the OMD store already has it for sale there. If you mean record shops, do any still exist?
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby murphmanz » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:53 am

Messages and Shame (re-recorded) on the first singles disc seem to be the 7" versions. Is this the first time that these have appeared on CD?
murphmanz

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:35 am

murphmanz wrote:Messages and Shame (re-recorded) on the first singles disc seem to be the 7" versions. Is this the first time that these have appeared on CD?
Shame was released as a CD single way back in 1987 but that contained the 12inch re-recorded version only. I am lost on how many differing versions of Messages there are. I think this is a question for our very own REVO to answer. Over to you ...
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby REVO » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:45 pm

BlackPaperCrown wrote:
murphmanz wrote:Messages and Shame (re-recorded) on the first singles disc seem to be the 7" versions. Is this the first time that these have appeared on CD?
Shame was released as a CD single way back in 1987 but that contained the 12inch re-recorded version only. I am lost on how many differing versions of Messages there are. I think this is a question for our very own REVO to answer. Over to you ...

The LP version is only on the LP/CD of the debut album. The re-recorded hit Howlett version is so ubiquitous, that listening to that version always feels odd.

I generally hear the 10" remix of "Messages" all over the place. I also have a 7" single of the song that I sourced in the 90s and thus have never played it. I see on Discogs that the GER 7" I have has a 3:59 timing and the 10" single has a 4:48 timing. In 1987 it first made the CD format as a bonus track on the "Shame" CD single, which was one of Virgin's first ventures into that format. The 10" version was on the UK/US editions of "The Best of OMD" from 1988. It also started off the UK "Messages" greatest hits collection + DVD from 2008. The 7" timing was on the US "OMD" mashup of "OMITD" and "Organisation" that game out in America in early 1981. That was the first OMD record I bought. The 10" version is on the 1998 "The OMD Singles" compilation that I never bothered with.

There is also a 6:25 Art Maharg remix for the Razormaid DJ pool that is on the Class-X Vol. 3 CD compilation from Razormaid. To my knowledge, this has not been released for wider commercial release, as some Razormaid mixes were.

Here's a list:

1. LP version - OMITD album
2. 7" version 3:59 - 7" single, US "OMITD" compilation 1981
3. 10" extended remix 4:48 - 10" single, "The Best Of OMD" 1988, "The OMD Singles" 1998, "Messages" 2008 [hard to believe that the next OMD best of happened this year, not last…], "DIndisc 1980" LP, "Shame" CD-5
4. Peel Version 4:11 - "Peel Sessions" album
5. Live Irving Plaza NYC Sept 21, 2011 4:45 - HOM+ Live album on memory stick sold at concert
6. Live Berlin Nov. 11, 2010 - "Live in Berlin" album
7. Live Nov. 2014 Liverpool Museum - "Dazzle Ships At The Museum Of Liverpool" album
8. Live @ R.A.H. 5:25 - "Architecture & Morality - Dazzle Ships" 2xCD
9. 1978 demo 4:27 - flexidisc with early copies of "Pretending To See The Future" book
10. Razormaid remix 6:25 - "Class-X Vol. 3" Razormaid CD
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
REVO

Postby murphmanz » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:41 pm

Thanks for that REVO. The Souvenir version of Messages has a track length of 4:01 which tallies with your Discogs info, while Shame is 3:51. I have the CD Shame single and it's definitely not the extended version as found on this.

With this in mind, it looks as though Souvenir may mark a much belated appearence by both of the 7" versions on CD. A nice little bonus!
murphmanz

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:32 pm

I have spotted a few more significant changes to track lengths. These are according to Wikipedia lengths (The Best Of OMD, Messages: Greatest Hits & The OMD Singles) with Souvenir lengths taken from Discogs. I will verify these later once I dig out my own versions of these compilation albums.

Dream Of Me clocks in at 4:14 instead of the usual 3:53
Sailing On The Seven Seas is a full 10 seconds shorter than its normal 3:45
Telegraph is a micro-short 2:44 but maybe that is the regular 7 inch version. We all know that the version on The Best Of OMD is the wrong track used (3:43) but even the version on Messages: Greatest Hits is 2:56

And, apart from all the non-Virgin singles from If You Want It onwards, this release marks the first time the following have been on a singles compilation
Red Frame/White Light
Never Turn Away
La Femme Accident
We Love You
Shame {I know this was mentioned above}
Pandora's Box (It's A Long, Long Way)
Then You Turn Away
Stand Above Me
Everyday
Universal

One last statistic, Souvenir does render all prior compilations redundant, track-wise, apart from The Best Of OMD which had two very welcome 12 inch versions tagged onto the end.

So, how much of this is incorrect?
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Previous

Return to OMD General Discussion