Questions for Andy

General talk about OMD

Moderator: OMD Official

Re: Questions for Andy

Postby skippy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi Andy

Just wondering what inanimate object would you banish to room 101, also what characteristic (personal or not) would you like to see put in there too?
Many thanks ;-)

I am trying not to be as judgmental these days as I once was. I am no great fan of 70's bathroom suite colours. Avacado green, anyone? But it's coming back as a retro fashion now. I shall not make it a personal issue. :-)
Cruelty I should like to see ended.
skippy
Major contributor

Postby ArthurC » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:21 pm

Andy,

How do you prepare yourself for a tour or concerts in psychical way? Are you going nearly every day to a fitness school or are you cyling or hard running?

I can't run anymore due to the lack of cartilage in my left knee So it's gym, swim and cycle as much as I can.
ArthurC

Postby tomyyboyy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:27 pm

Andy,

Would you agree that some of the most iconic songs have been under 3 minutes long. Why is there a need for songs to fit a 4.30 minute format and do you think that a song can say everything in 2.40 minutes or does it have to take 4.30 minutes to comunicate your feelings?

Lastly, what is your favorite song that is under the 4.30 format that you think the writer was very concise?

It really depends on what the writer feels is appropriate. One of my favourite songs is "You Really got Me" by The Kinks. 2.14 in length.
Everyone Says Hi
tomyyboyy

Postby Vickey » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:40 am

For the man who is in the position who could seemingly have it all, is there anything (item) or anyone (person) you couldn't have?

I can't make someone happy who cannot find it for themselves. And this is not a dig at Paul Tarr. It is something that has been a great sadness to me recently that I have had to learn to live with.
Vickey

Postby Referee » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:20 pm

It seems a lot of the tracks from EE was about the pain of splitting up, Dresden, Helen Of Troy, Stay with me, No mans land, Kill me (although it had a brighter ending). Do you find writing such songs of raw emotion cathartic or just reflective of your mood at the time?

I did not write "Stay with Me", but yiu are correct about the lyrical content of the other tracks and more that you did not mention. I think that you are correct on both suggestions. Catharsis and just state of mind. I have moved forward form 3 years ago and learned a great deal about myself and humanity in general. There are different lyrical subjects
on the next album.
1980 to 1996- various
2011 - Boston, New York, London, Liverpool, Chicago, Milwaukee
2012 - Clumber Park, Henley
2013 - Birmingham, Ipswich, Liverpool, Berlin, Leipzig, Dublin
2014 - Majorca, Liverpool
2015 - Liverpool
2016 - RAH
2017 - Rockingham, Southend, Ipswich, Cambridge, Reading, Birmingham
Referee

Postby Vickey » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:41 am

Following on from Referree's question above, this is not so much a question but a hope that you are in a happier place and that your new songs will be about new found love or happiness as a single man. I wish you the best. I am going through a divorce myself so totally feel your pain.

Sorry to hear that you are going through a divorce. I learned a great deal in the last 5 years though it doesn't change the mistakes of the past that carry continued resonance. That is what I am working on these days.
Vickey

Postby Donato » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:35 am

I was listening to Sugar Tax last week and I wanted to know how you feel nearly 25 years later about the songs "Walk Tall" and "All that Glitters"; they both seem to be exquisite examples of 1990's neo-romanticism. I've always suspected thats theres a lot more to the story behind "All that Glitters" (my favorite OMD song ever)- seems like its quite a painful one for you....is this correct ?

Thank you, Donato. I am very happy with much of the album and the two tracks that you mention are beautiful.
All that Glitters was indeed very sad and rather bitter. Fortunately, things have resolved very positively. :-)
Donato

Postby dumpty » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:34 pm

Andy

On a similar theme as Donato I was wondering if 'Was It Something I Said' was ever considered to be released as a single?

It could have been huge (IMO).

'Was It Something I Said' deals lyrically with the same issues and 'All that Glitters'. I love the song but, personally,
I could not see it as a single.
dumpty

Postby abc123 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:21 pm

With the 30 years anniversary of Crush, I have a couple of arty questions:

1. I know that the lyrics of Bloc Bloc Bloc more or less is built on a train of thoughts. But the word "Bloc" is not a word at all. "Block" would be a more easy to understand, as the Edward Hopper inspired art work contains a lot of blocks. Or, my guess is that the working title of the song was "Fuck Fuck Fuck", as the you states " ... I'll take your sister to bed ..." right before the Bloc bloc bloc thing.

2. As I know you are interested in art, and is reflected in your music as well, is the song Women III in any sense inspired by the painting Woman III (the fourth most expensive painting ever sold) by Willem de Kooning?

"Woman III" by Willem de Kooning

Bloc Bloc Bloc is not a replacement for Fuck Fuck Fuck. If I am totally honest, I now fail to remember my original affinity for the word. I suspect that it appealed to me as a suitably nonsensical word repeated three times that worked well as a title for a nonsensical stream of thought song lyric.

Women III comes from the fact that the subject of the song has become woman "number three". It is a complete coincidence that it is the title of a de Kooning painting. Though there is always the possibility of subconscious connection that I was unaware of.
I'm dancing like a windmill
In my own world, that's how i feel
And it goes round and round, round and round and around.

http://www.bonordin.se/
abc123
Major contributor

Postby dumpty » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks for (all) your answers Andy.
dumpty

Postby dazzler » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:20 pm

abc123 wrote:Bloc Bloc Bloc is not a replacement for Fuck Fuck Fuck. If I am totally honest, I now fail to remember my original affinity for the word. I suspect that it appealed to me as a suitably nonsensical word repeated three times that worked well as a title for a nonsensical stream of thought song lyric.

Funny things is that blok blok blok means in Dutch: study study study.
So being a young adolescent, the song was a musical way of liberating myself
from school duties and let my mind go free about more naughty thoughts.

So I could blok till the weekend and then paint the town (but that's another OMD song).

But some very interesting thinking and linking by abc123 though.
We’re just waiting looking skyward as the days come down.
Someone promised there’d be answers, if we stayed around.
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby ArthurC » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:37 pm

Hi Andy,

Do you have any idea when we can expect the new OMD songs?

Arthur

Hopefully at the end of next year.
ArthurC

Postby ArthurC » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:11 pm

Hi Andy,
In the first years of OMD (1980-1982) we see on live videos Paul standing on the right side of you. From 1984 until now on the left side. Why did you change that? Of course it isn't important but nice to know.

Arthur

Yes, I did used to be on the other side of the stage and actually all the damage to my hearing happened in
those years. My left ear is damaged from the side fill having a high frequency unit at ear height. I just asked Paul
why we changed and he said it was because his right ear was getting damaged so we both needed a balance.
Obviously, the damage was done early.
ArthurC

Postby Andrew_K » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:48 pm

Hopefully at the end of next year.

Uh oh... Will you still play any gigs in 2016? Is the potential complete Dazzle Ships gig still on the cards? I still dream of a chance to hear 'Telegraph' live at least once in my life...

P.S. Many many thanks for the wonderful Museum of Liverpool release! As I've said before, you guys sound amazing live, hope this is definitely not the last recording :)
Andrew_K

Postby SynthPop2011 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:15 pm

with the "dazzle ships" live recordings out now... & while i was jus' listening to the "missing parts" of the title track, i wondered, if u've ever heard about the "skagerrak" release by werkbund, andy?
it was released back in 1987 already... & had seen no cd or other official digital release so far afaik @ least...
fyi: http://www.discogs.com/Werkbund-Skagerr ... ase/499598

cheers! :-)
>> further communication via http://twitter.com/Olaf_HB <<
SynthPop2011

PreviousNext

Return to OMD General Discussion