Questions for Andy

General talk about OMD

Moderator: OMD Official

Re: Questions for Andy

Postby Claudia » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:43 am

https://youtu.be/MADAqhrWpD8

Hi Andy,

Such a wonderful work by OMD. No song fitted better as “Electricity”. Great!
I´m so intrigued from this video and the idea.

How and who had the idea to create “Electricity” new and present this Tim Peak?
Have some of you a special relationship to Tim Peak or is this a kind of “Thank you” that he´s the first UK astronaut at the ESA?
Relate this idea to your love to astronomy?
How your feeling was as your idea was got real and what do you feel now about the clip?

Thanks in advance and for your time.

Greets
Claudia

We were told about Tim by ESA and we were very happy to support their social media campaign. It is very exciting for Tim and the UK. Only 2 days until lift off!
Live the life you want to live
No point in thinking about "What If"
Claudia

Postby tomyyboyy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:29 am

Andy,

1. Since we are getting close to the end of the year, do you guys have any "Working Titles" i.e. what the record is going to be called?

2. Can you give us an idea of the direction of the songs, are they moody, up beat all and all what's the ambience of this new record?

3. Have you been enjoying yourself more this time around?

4. Does Mal look like a grizzly bear now since he is living in the woods?

Thanks!

We have many songs and ideas already and we hope to be on time for a release at the end of 2016. But we will not rush if it's not ready. Can't give away any surprises .. sorry! :-)

Tom
Everyone Says Hi
tomyyboyy

Postby JiskaJJ » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi Andy,
You probably know there are FB fanpages. Do you read the posts there? Or maybe even infiltrade under a nickname?
Greetings, Jiska

If I told you that would blow my cover! :-)
JiskaJJ

Postby Declan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:58 am

Dear Andy,

Luke, from Pledge, has been really helpful and is trying to contact you.

I ordered a hand written song lyric sheet as part of my Pledge. It was for "Maid of Orleans" so not much to write, because this was my wife's and my wedding song

Unfortunately the Pledge items never arrived. Luke has resent the DVD and T-shirt, which I've now received, but I was hoping to give the hand written sheet as a Christmas present.

Regards

Declan
Declan

Postby dparmet » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:03 am

Vickey wrote:Following on from Referree's question above, this is not so much a question but a hope that you are in a happier place and that your new songs will be about new found love or happiness as a single man. I wish you the best. I am going through a divorce myself so totally feel your pain.

Sorry to hear that you are going through a divorce. I learned a great deal in the last 5 years though it doesn't change the mistakes of the past that carry continued resonance. That is what I am working on these days.

Wow.... it seems I'm not alone. I'm also going through a separation. I've been playing Dresden almost non-stop in the car for weeks now. The end - I can't live with you I can't live without you... - gives me shivers.

Vickey - I totally feel your pain.

Andy - thanks for Dresden and English Electric and I'm looking forward to what's coming next.
@davidparmet
dparmet

Postby ArthurC » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:07 am

Hi Andy,

Will both Malcolm and Stuart been involved with drumming a few songs for the new OMD album?

Arthur

Just Stuart. We met with Malcolm when we were in Germany in December and he is really well. However,
he just could not take a chance on touring again.
ArthurC

Postby tomyyboyy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:02 am

Hi Andy,

What direct or indirect influence did Mr. Bowie have on your approach to music?

The very first album that I bought was Ziggy Stardust. But Low and Heroes were the greatest influence
upon me and on OMD in general.
Everyone Says Hi
tomyyboyy

Postby ArthurC » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi Andy,

Would it be nice do try to do one RAP-song for the new album? :-)

NO :-)
ArthurC

Postby Hagen » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:07 am

Can you tell us a wee bit about the Gary Barlow collaboration / Eddie The Eagle soundtrack Andy?

Gary met with Paul and I at Paul's flat in London and he sent us the script which was very funny.

- You have written the music, Gary the lyrics... Did you work with Gary personally in the studio, or just sending files to each other?
Just sending files

- Do you met Hugh Jackman, who's singing 'Thrill Me', in personal life/in the studio?

Not only did I not meet Hugh and Taron, I didn't know that they had sung on it until it was done! :-)

- Are a chafing about there's no OMD track to be considered for the Eddie The eagle soundtrack / 80s all star album? I'd read in an interview you/OMD have written two songs for it (would you name/descripe this songs?)

Gary and the producer were in charge of picking songs. At least we actually have one left over that will be great on the new album.

- Do you think the Eddie film become more successful than The D Train mega flop movie?

I have only read the script and seen the trailer but I think it will be better than D Train

Thank you! :-)
THE EXTENSIVE GERMAN OMD FANSITE:

Hagen
Major contributor

Postby skippy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:23 pm

ArthurC wrote:Hi Andy,

Would it be nice do try to do one RAP-song for the new album? :-)

NO :-)

Phew :-)
skippy
Major contributor

Postby suec » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:05 pm

Any further news on uk dates? :)

Next year now I'm afraid.

And how is the new album coming along?

Paul will be at my house for the next few days. We have much completed and we are feeling positive.

( don't forget me if you plan on binning any of those white shirts.. )

OK
suec

Postby cookie » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:19 am

Hi Andy,

it seems we can prepare for an exiciting 2016. That´s what my questions are about:

- which working title do you use for the new Album?

Maybe... Punishment of Luxury

- Are there any new song titles you can tell?

La Mitrailleuse

- How would you - at this state of songwriting - describe the main style of the Album (electronic, organic, poppy, experimental....)?

Very varied at the moment. Bleepy and glitchy, and choirs, occasionally electro retro.

- If you should compare the new Album with your backcatalogue - which one comes it closest to?
Hard for me to say.

- Any time schedule for the release?

Next March

Thanks in advance for taking the time ...
cookie

Postby Andrew_K » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi Andy!

Any hopes for a live recording of the RAH gig, at least in audio form? It would surely be a nice addition to our OMD collection, as it is not as if we can hear these albums played live in full that often...

There are plans to have a live recording available to take home on the night and buy after.

And any chance of hearing the Andy of 1983 screaming 'Teeeeeeeelegraph' in the background during the song of the same title? :P

I think I will be singing the high notes in falsetto.

Apparently you used to sing the song live like that early on, but then that element was removed for fairly obvious reasons, I suspect...

Hope you're all doing well, take care!
Andrew_K

Postby Bertie Bertschin » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:54 pm

Hi Andy

I know this question is a tad cheeky. My lad was watching the 1981 Drury Lane Architecture and Morality gig earlier on today. I noticed how busy Paul and Martin were. Obviously with the advent of Pro Tools etc. playing live is a hell of a lot easier now than it was back then. It struck me though that I rarely see them playing parts with both hands now (I think so anyway). My question is, do you think Pro Tools is ever a temptation to go down the path of least resistance as regards which parts to play live?

Cheers

Bertie

We can use more channels on protools than we could on tape. Also, as the songs have become more complex with programmed bass parts rather than hand played we have put more sequenced parts on the protools.
Bertie Bertschin

Postby Yogi » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi Andy,

on the Video From Factory to Liberty we can see you singing Stand above me
like an Rockabilly style - How about an Rock`n Roll song ?

I think we should stay away from RnR songs :-)

Did you ever visit an Rock`n Roll Gig, if yes which Band was it ?

I have seen Marie Wilson a few times several years ago.

Last Question about the A&M and DS Gig....

Will you follow the exact album order ?

Thanks a lot Yogi
Yogi

PreviousNext

Return to OMD General Discussion