JUNK CULTURE deluxe

General talk about OMD

Moderator: OMD Official

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby dazzler » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:56 pm

I can't believe about the mistakes.
I just took a look myself at Amazon to discover track times were added.

But what a mess it is indeed.

I hope Andy or some official will help us out.
I'd like to believe the mistakes are not on the actual 2cd package.

But if they are, why the hell did we have to wait so long for its release?
We’re just waiting looking skyward as the days come down.
Someone promised there’d be answers, if we stayed around.
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby colcol » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:01 pm

dazzler wrote:I can't believe about the mistakes.
I just took a look myself at Amazon to discover track times were added.

But what a mess it is indeed.

I hope Andy or some official will help us out.
I'd like to believe the mistakes are not on the actual 2cd package.

But if they are, why the hell did we have to wait so long for its release?

like you i also want to believe that all will be well, but i'm not very confident...
colcol
Major contributor

Postby Andy McCluskey » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:42 pm

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

There has been a mistake and Wrappup is incorrect at present. We are looking at where manufacturing is up to. The download should be corrected as Wrappup was mastered. Perhaps there will be some alternative offered, Universal and the band are working on possible solutions.

TLC extended version was edited in order to get the five unreleased tracks on the CD at 75 minutes. However this was before Julia's Song dub was removed to be made available as a 10" for RSD. Tesla Girls extended version on CD2 is the correct version with longer intro and dubbed middle section. L&V is correct and full length.

Unfortunately, mistakes do get made. They have happened before. However, and whatever the outcome, CD2 is still a very interesting collection with all that is on it.

Andy
Andy McCluskey
Special Guest

Postby dan_hunt » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Tesla Girls on the main album was the other issue, going by the time shown on iTunes it is the single version at 3:36 and not the album version at 3:51. Any ideas if this is a mistake as well?

Anyway, sorry to be nitpicky but I thought the band ought to be made aware of these issues so that they can be corrected. My brother has had issues with Universal reissues in the past (Level 42, Rush and Caravan CDs) and usually Universal offer replacement discs to those that contact them at a specific email address. Maybe this is what will happen with this release, unless the release date is delayed to correct the CDs.
dan_hunt

Postby dazzler » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:50 pm

I just can't believe they would put de single edit of Tesla Girls on the album.
Just like Andy confirmed that Love and Violence will be the full version.

Otherwise it would mean that the album wasn't really remastered,
because you would expect the album version to be on the master tapes of the album.

The album was remastered from the original individual track master tapes rather than the old
whole album which was stored on old digital. It has authentic tape print through :-)

If I'm right, it would mean that we are only missing the intro of the TL&C 12" version.
That's a pity for sure (because the remasters of the previous four albums were splendid).

But it won't be a disaster (as it appeared at first with the whole Wrappup, L&V en Tesla Girls thing).

Fingers crossed.
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby Andrew_K » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:26 pm

The album was remastered from the original individual track master tapes rather than the old
whole album which was stored on old digital. It has authentic tape print through :-)

Now that sounds terrific! Really really looking forward to hear the entire package.

Any updates on a possible HD version later in the year? I'd like to record those back to tape, for additional listening pleasure ;)
Andrew_K

Postby moni » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:45 pm

I feel this release should be delayed until the mistakes are corrected in the meantime i'm cancelling my order until i get confirmation that they are fixed.
moni

Postby Saad » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:50 am

I do know the two forthcoming UB40 Deluxe Editions [Present Arms & Labour Of Love] have both involved welcome fan input with Universal in the choice of the additional material on the extra CDs and has met with positive feedback on various forums.

I think a seminal album like Junk Culture would have benefited from fan input and a third disc with live material could have been justified at the same time.

Saad
Saad

Postby Chemiegott » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:17 am

Well, i'm looking forward to it. And thanks a lot that there's the wonderful original 7" re-record of Julia's Song - not this horrible bloody 12" remix :-). And little mistakes happen...but is fact overweighs all little mistakes :-)
'Of the night and the light and the half light'
Take a look here: https://player.vimeo.com/video/15666578
Rest in peace...
Chemiegott

Postby PaulB » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:22 am

Obviously it's unfortunate that the Junk Culture reissue appears to have suffered some issues and I'm hoping some of those will be resolved before the album itself comes out next month.

There's a few interesting questions and queries coming up surrounding this release so I'm going to clarify some of those as best as I can from my position.

Andy McCluskey asked me to act as an advisor on this reissue and also to provide sleeve notes. My initial task was to gather together details of the various studio tracks that complete the Junk Culture archive. When the first track listing was unveiled I noticed that it was a very 'vanilla' track listing (ie album + B-Sides + Extended versions). I'd already mentioned to Andy that there had to be tracks recorded at the Inverness sessions that could benefit from appearing on the reissue. We'd had 'Swiss Radio International' on the Dazzle Ships reissue for instance, so it would be nice to get the original 'Heaven Is' on here. Plus, I knew that there had been other tracks from that era that had appeared to have vanished - including ones that had Paul singing on them.

That resulted in Universal going back to the archives to do some digging. Simultaneously, Paul Humphreys unearthed a box of cassette tapes at home (which is where 'All Or Nothing' came from). So suddenly we had some real gems appear, such as a complete song called '10 To 1' that was later rebuilt into 'Love And Violence' and demo versions of 'White Trash' and 'Tesla Girls'.

As Andy comments above, once you have additional material like that you then have to get it all onto 2 CDs (worth noting here that the Dazzle Ships reissue was a single CD release). So the track listing was shifted around a bit and obviously we lost some stuff, such as the jam session section of the 12" version of 'Julia's Song' and the live B-Sides (personally, I'll trade in live B-Sides for unreleased songs any day of the week).

It would have been handy if Universal had pulled me in to supervise the final audio on this but I can't be involved in everything. There were some other issues surrounding the artwork and choice of images for the booklet that I offered to help with but that Universal were confident enough that they could complete themselves.

Yes it would be nice to have a box set containing everything, including live recordings and the radio sessions, but you have to observe that this release has to be financially practical - and also strike a balance between OMD fans and the general record-buying public. But this is an old debate that goes back to the Navigation discussion years back.

I think that the unearthing of any unreleased material and demo versions is a vital component of any reissue. I have had to argue this point many times in the history of the various OMD releases, but I think the results have served fans well. I'm certain that OMD fans will really like the additional tracks on this release and I hope the other issues can be resolved prior to release.
PaulB
Major contributor

Postby cookie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:23 pm

Well spoken, PaulB! And thank you for the effort you always put in those remastered packages. Can´t wait to listen to the unreleased songs, a proper remaster of the album and of course to read your sleeve notes!
cookie

Postby colcol » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:45 pm

PB, you're hoping that SOME of the issues will be resolved, but not ALL of them. beggars belief. the inclusion of unheard/unreleased material does not make it okay (for me anyway)...
colcol
Major contributor

Postby suec » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:42 pm

Mine has been preordered for ages on Amazon
Looking forward to it :)
suec

Postby colcol » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:56 pm

suec wrote:Mine has been preordered for ages on Amazon
Looking forward to it :)

i've cancelled mine with amazon, will wait and see what others get in their jiffy-bag...
colcol
Major contributor

Postby dazzler » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:41 pm

As far as I'm concerned, there are only two problems unsolved.

1. Does the album contain the 7" edit or the album version of Tesla Girls?
It was not confirmed by Andy or PaulB unless I overlooked it.

2. Love and Violence: seems shorter if you look at the track duration, but Andy confirmed it to be the album version.
So that makes me think or hope Tesla Girls will be the album versio too. Fingers crossed.

3. Wrappup was remastered, shoud be on the album but isn' on the album, but was mistaken by All Wrapped Up on Itunes and Amazon. Still not sure about that.

4. Talking Loud and Clear (extended version) has lost the intro (due to duration of the initial tracklist of the second cd). It seems this one is almost certain not the full length version. No chance of a correction?

So that leaves (if I'm correct) three questions to be answered about Tesla Girls, Wrappup
and Talking Loud and Clear (extended version) and one (maybe two or three) mistakes to be corrected.

I agree with PaulB about the tracklist: it is the best possible 2cd package we could get.
But it would be sad if the album has not the original album versions (don't know about Locomotion,
but I thought it was a bit longer on the original album too, the single version a few seconds shorter).

I remember the 25th anniversary release of Paul Young's No Parlez album.
That had to be restaured (because the original cd had all the 12" versions on it) tot the vinyl tracklist.
Eventually it turned out that the people involved made 3 mistakes, using single edits instead of
album versions of Come Back and Stay, Love Will Tear Us Apart and Love of the Common People.
Last edited by dazzler on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazzler
Major contributor

PreviousNext

Return to OMD General Discussion