JUNK CULTURE deluxe

General talk about OMD

Moderator: OMD Official

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby colcol » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:55 pm

still doesn't explain the confusion over "wrappup" and if they've used "all wrapped up" twice...
colcol
Major contributor

Postby dazzler » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:01 pm

You're right, I misunderstood about Wrappup, unfortunately.

I edited my previous message.
We’re just waiting looking skyward as the days come down.
Someone promised there’d be answers, if we stayed around.
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby moni » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:59 pm

This is being released in less than a week are they seriously going to let this be released with the errors on it ?
Would it not make more sense to hold of till the mistakes are rectified instead of them if they ever do it having to send out corrected discs.
moni

Postby colcol » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:22 pm

moni wrote:This is being released in less than a week are they seriously going to let this be released with the errors on it ?
Would it not make more sense to hold of till the mistakes are rectified instead of them if they ever do it having to send out corrected discs.
i

i am actually coming round to wanting a miss-pressing, instant collectable...
colcol
Major contributor

Postby PaulB » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:06 pm

I think there's an old saying in the film industry that movies are never completed, just abandoned. ;)

I'd like to think that every reissue is going to be completely perfect, but they never are. It's probably worth mentioning at this stage for instance that there are still lost Dazzle Ships tracks - but that these only came to light during the Junk Culture archive research.

Junk Culture presents a challenge that the other reissues didn't face in that the size of the material is much larger than its predecessors. It was always going to be tough paring those down to fit on an album, but also make the album a cohesive whole (hence the dropping of stuff like the picture disc version of 'Never Turn Away' for instance).

As for the errors on this release, it's not the first time that mistakes have been made. The vinyl release of Sugar Tax springs immediately to mind. Plus, it's the reason that the 10" version of 'Messages' keeps popping up everywhere ;) I'm not privvy to the inner workings of Universal so I'm as much in the dark as everyone else. I am sure a more detailed statement will be forthcoming on the issue though. :)
PaulB
Major contributor

Postby colcol » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:43 pm

PaulB wrote:I think there's an old saying in the film industry that movies are never completed, just abandoned. ;)

I'd like to think that every reissue is going to be completely perfect, but they never are. It's probably worth mentioning at this stage for instance that there are still lost Dazzle Ships tracks - but that these only came to light during the Junk Culture archive research.

Junk Culture presents a challenge that the other reissues didn't face in that the size of the material is much larger than its predecessors. It was always going to be tough paring those down to fit on an album, but also make the album a cohesive whole (hence the dropping of stuff like the picture disc version of 'Never Turn Away' for instance).

As for the errors on this release, it's not the first time that mistakes have been made. The vinyl release of Sugar Tax springs immediately to mind. Plus, it's the reason that the 10" version of 'Messages' keeps popping up everywhere ;) I'm not privvy to the inner workings of Universal so I'm as much in the dark as everyone else. I am sure a more detailed statement will be forthcoming on the issue though. :)

did i read your post correctly, that besides the missing DS parts that we got to listen to back in november there's more material, i need to sit down for a bit...
colcol
Major contributor

Postby Lee D » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:28 pm

I'll be honouring my order.

While I'm disappointed with the wrappup thing, it's not going to stop me looking forward to the release. After all. I've heard wrappup and while its the only missing digital version on my B side playlist (I think anyway) there are more unreleased tracks to get excited about. (I'll be happy with a voucher code for the downloadable track though :-))

I was never keen on the bit at the beginning of extended TLAC, so that's not a problem (providing that's the bit they have chopped)

The tracks will go on the ipod, I'll use the original "longer" versions of TG & L&V from the original JC, then sell the mispressed disc for loads in a couple of years time.
Lee D

Postby Rodney » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:45 am

PaulB: Have you ever met Robin Harris, who runs Metamatic, The Official John Foxx Website? He is also John's archivist with regards to all of his 'historical' recordings. You may very well have been separated at birth!

I'm looking forward to receiving the Junk Culture 2CD remastered set, despite the cock-ups and your best efforts to avoid them! I can only imagine your cringe if a 'Pacific Age' band photo is included within the booklet!

All the best ...

Regards,
Rod.
(Organisation-sleeve-photo-researcher-and-location-discoverer) ;-)
Rodney

Postby Andy McCluskey » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:03 am

Sorry if this issue has unduly upset some of you. There will be a remedy available for anyone who does feel extremely upset.

To all others, I am sure that the album will be an interesting a wonderful addition to your OMD collection.

Isn't it fortunate that life goes on despite hardship, and that there is always something to treasure despite minor (and sometimes major) imperfection? My left knee is now damaged beyond repair due to an accident 30 years ago, but I have learned to live with it and still manage to enjoy our concerts regardless of the pain. "Just saying", as our American cousins may remark.

Andy
Andy McCluskey
Special Guest

Postby Silent Runner » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:21 am

Andy McCluskey wrote:Sorry if this issue has unduly upset some of you. There will be a remedy available for anyone who does feel extremely upset.

Like a slap 'round the chops?

Jeez, some people need to get over themselves.
Silent Runner

Postby Andrew_K » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:32 am

I was looking forward to hearing Wrappup, but I do not feel upset, especially if there will be some remedy for this small mistake. Right now, having listened to the sample of 10 To 1 about 'a million times, I just want to be alone...', sorry, it's pretty catchy, I still remain all hyped up for the release, so I can't wait to receive my set next week.
Andrew_K

Postby moni » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:30 pm

The point is that there is still time left to do something about this as it has not been released yet and remember it was supposed to have been released in November last year and was postponed so i'm sure most people wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer. I know it's Universal to blame for this and i was just wondering if they have been informed about these mistakes. Who wrote that silly description on Amazon The album was remastered at Abbey Road and the other tracks featured on disc 2 have previously only been available on vinyl.
moni

Postby colcol » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:58 pm

just visited amazon and no-where does it state that it has been "delayed", so it looks like it's coming come-what-may. when i pre-ordered i opted to receive JC on the day of release (which is this monday), so i reckon it has to be sent out on friday in order to get it then, seems too late to do anything about the errors now...
colcol
Major contributor

Postby Sammi G » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:20 pm

I think the simple solution appease all is to can the album and have a whip-round for Andy's knee instead ; cut out the middle man and all that. In that instance we can be sure that the monies all go direct to where they are needed most without anyone ever having to endure 14 versions of Wrappup and 9 alternate remixes of TLAC while pawing the sleeve notes for endless mispellings and artistic bum-fluff.

Just saying.
Tonight Matthew...I'm going to be...Bonnie Tyler
Sammi G

Postby colcol » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:29 pm

Sammi G wrote:I think the simple solution appease all is to can the album and have a whip-round for Andy's knee instead ; cut out the middle man and all that. In that instance we can be sure that the monies all go direct to where they are needed most without anyone ever having to endure 14 versions of Wrappup and 9 alternate remixes of TLAC while pawing the sleeve notes for endless mispellings and artistic bum-fluff.

Just saying.

hahaha...
colcol
Major contributor

PreviousNext

Return to OMD General Discussion