JUNK CULTURE deluxe

General talk about OMD

Moderator: OMD Official

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:46 pm

taoyoyo wrote:BPC... I know exactly what remastering is Sir...
No disrespect meant. People seem to think that remastering means something wonderful and they expect bonus tracks. Universal remastered TFF’s Songs From the Big Chair and made a total hash of its sound. Generally remastering means just making it louder rather than improving it.
taoyoyo wrote:As for changing the running order... I'm sure there would be exceptions
There are. Tori Amos finally managed to secure the release of Little Earthquakes (via her Piano box set) with the proper running order and missed out tracks that she originally wanted. My Life Story re-issued Welcome To Mornington Crescent with the proper 17 track running order rather than the 12 track one they had to compromise with on its original release. And The The finally managed to get a track removed from Soul Mining (Perfect was never supposed to be part of that album) when it was re-issued.
I am sorry Peter Gabriel made a mess of So for you. I do wonder if OMD’s Sugar Tax, when it is re-issued (probably some time in 2020 at this rate!) will have that missing title track included in its proper place
Time flies but I am not yet old
User avatar
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby taoyoyo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:17 pm

BlackPaperCrown wrote:No disrespect meant. People seem to think that remastering means something wonderful and they expect bonus tracks.


None taken, no worries... I guess most people do associate and expect (myself included, if I'm going to buy an album *again* there needs to be an incentive!) remastered albums with extra tracks (unless on vinyl).

BlackPaperCrown wrote:Universal remastered TFF’s Songs From the Big Chair and made a total hash of its sound. Generally remastering means just making it louder rather than improving it.


... Was this the Deluxe Version? Picked it up a few times but never purchased. I did get 'The Hurting' box set last year, which I haven't noticed issues with.

But yes, with the loudness wars still upon us, some remasters do concentrate on 'Loudest' rather than the overall balance... a lot of people just expect that now. (Underworld's Abbey Road remaster of their first album 'Dubnobasswithmyheadman' is out next month and I'm excited to hear how it sounds... the original was always quiet but from a wav file I've seen they have kept the dynamics as well).

BlackPaperCrown wrote:Tori Amos finally managed to secure the release of Little Earthquakes (via her Piano box set) with the proper running order and missed out tracks that she originally wanted. My Life Story re-issued Welcome To Mornington Crescent with the proper 17 track running order rather than the 12 track one they had to compromise with on its original release. And The The finally managed to get a track removed from Soul Mining (Perfect was never supposed to be part of that album) when it was re-issued.


... I'd say it's cool when that's how the artist intended the album to be heard in the first place?

It did feel weird not hearing 'Perfect' at the end of 'Soul Mining' for a while (as that had always been the CD running order) but 'Giant' does feel like the natural ending.


BlackPaperCrown wrote: I am sorry Peter Gabriel made a mess of So for you. I do wonder if OMD’s Sugar Tax, when it is re-issued (probably some time in 2020 at this rate!) will have that missing title track included in its proper place


... I don't know what that change with 'So' was about, maybe PG revised his ideal running order but it feels wrong... 'IYE' now comes after 'This is the Picture', which I think was an extra track on the CD originally.
User avatar
taoyoyo
Major contributor
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:56 pm
Location: atlanta, usa

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:49 pm

taoyoyo wrote:... Was this the Deluxe Version?
That's the one. While it is still my most favourite album of the 80s and this deluxe version does have practically all the extra tracks from that album's era (7 inch versions, 12 inch versions, the hidden tracks and nearly all the b-sides), they have done something horrible to the main album and made it sound muddy. I just play my original CD version instead!

Hopefully when they revamp Junk Culture, they retain the quality they had so far achieved with the first 4 OMD album reissues.
Time flies but I am not yet old
User avatar
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby feline1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:30 am

Some of the biggest improvements in "remastering" can be when remastering early digital recordings -

Does anyone recall which was the first OMD album to be recorded and mixed digitally? (It used to say things like "AAD" and "ADD" on CDs back then, to indicate this).
feline1
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:41 am

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby feline1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:32 am

All the OMD remastering I've heard so far has been very nicely done, nothing but an improvement on the sound.

Indeed, I've been pretty lucky with remasters that I've bought - the sort of bands I like seem to have avoided some of the worst "loudness wars" nonsense.

The only remaster I've bought so far which was noticeably and objectively AWFUL was by Kraftwerk - I dipped by toe in the water with the Autobahn remaster and could hardly believe what I was hearing - appalling ham-fisted denoising, with all the attendant "gurgle wurgle" sonic artefacting. No one Florian quit the band!
feline1
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:41 am

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby nlogax » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:04 am

feline1 wrote:Does anyone recall which was the first OMD album to be recorded and mixed digitally? (It used to say things like "AAD" and "ADD" on CDs back then, to indicate this).


Pretty certain it was The Pacific Age.
I'll see you when the sun sets east, don't forget me.
http://www.nlogax.net ---- http://twitter.com/Quaristice
User avatar
nlogax
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:21 am
Location: That London

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby feline1 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:26 pm

just checked my CDs: Crush says "ADD" (recorded on analogue tape, mixed and mastered digitally),
Pacific Age gets the full DDD.
feline1
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:41 am

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby colcol » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:44 pm

Mark C wrote:That would be great! The live version from Liverpool Royal Court in 83 is fun!

i was there...
User avatar
colcol
Major contributor
 
Posts: 2742
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: wirral and the kingdom of mercia

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby dan_hunt » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:08 pm

Just spotted this on Amazon due out November 25th:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Junk-Culture-Omd/dp/B00O3RQI1GA
dan_hunt
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby colcol » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:19 pm

dan_hunt wrote:Just spotted this on Amazon due out November 25th:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Junk-Culture-Omd/dp/B00O3RQI1GA

well spotted Dan, the page has very little information regarding the actual release, no track listing or picture of the sleeve for example, it does how-ever state that it's a two-disc set so i'm guessing it'll contain a fair few extras, one of which i hope will be the pic-disc version of "never turn away". the suggested price of £19 will no doubt drop as the date gets closer.

cheers for the heads-up Dan, something to look forward to.
User avatar
colcol
Major contributor
 
Posts: 2742
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: wirral and the kingdom of mercia

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby SantoriM87 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:08 pm

colcol wrote:
dan_hunt wrote:Just spotted this on Amazon due out November 25th:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Junk-Culture-Omd/dp/B00O3RQI1G

well spotted Dan, the page has very little information regarding the actual release, no track listing or picture of the sleeve for example, it does how-ever state that it's a two-disc set so i'm guessing it'll contain a fair few extras, one of which i hope will be the pic-disc version of "never turn away". the suggested price of £19 will no doubt drop as the date gets closer.

cheers for the heads-up Dan, something to look forward to.


Have to concur -was really hoping this was going to happen. So many fantastic extra tracks to put in. November is going to be one merry month :-)
And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music
User avatar
SantoriM87
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby OMD Official » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:23 am

We are still awaiting confirmation from Universal on release date. Please refrain from pre-ordering until the release is officially announced.

Thanks.

OMD Official
User avatar
OMD Official
Site Admin
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:51 pm

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby feline1 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:50 am

£18.99?? Must be special ;)

Anyways, great news.

And then what we need next is Crush remastered, including a DVD of 'Crush - The Movie' :)
feline1
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:41 am

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby moni » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:34 am

feline1 wrote:£18.99?? Must be special ;)




I wouldn't worry about the pricing that's just Amazon being stupid as usual it will no doubt go down to about £10.99 nearer the release date. I can't understand the secrecy regarding the track listing though when it's definitely going to be released.
moni
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:59 am
Location: Scotland

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby zerohero1266 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:18 pm

feline1 wrote:All the OMD remastering I've heard so far has been very nicely done, nothing but an improvement on the sound.

Indeed, I've been pretty lucky with remasters that I've bought - the sort of bands I like seem to have avoided some of the worst "loudness wars" nonsense.

The only remaster I've bought so far which was noticeably and objectively AWFUL was by Kraftwerk - I dipped by toe in the water with the Autobahn remaster and could hardly believe what I was hearing - appalling ham-fisted denoising, with all the attendant "gurgle wurgle" sonic artefacting. No one Florian quit the band!


Sorry got to disagree about the Kraftwerk remasters,I bought the box set & it was a marked improvement or previous CD's.To listen to the start of 'Radioactivity' with no 'hiss' was worth the price alone !
Everyone Deserves A Chance In Life - Unless They Come From Wigan !!
User avatar
zerohero1266
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: ST.Helens Merseyside

PreviousNext

Return to OMD General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron