JUNK CULTURE deluxe

General talk about OMD

Moderator: OMD Official

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby dazzler » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:43 pm

The point is, record companies shouldn't mess with the legacy of their bands.
It's all about money, not about care. The only ones who took care were the band and PaulB.

The first three albums were pretty good expanded releases with all the official bonus material on it.
And the Dazzle Ships re-issue was a real beauty, one of the dearest pearls in my cd collection.

I'm sure the band and PaulB put a lot of effort in the Junk Culture 2CD release.
The missing of the intro of the extended Talking Loud and Clear is a pity, but not the end of the world.

But putting a wrong track (All Wrapped Up a second time instead of Wrappup) is a real shame.
It's like handing in your test or exam without re-reading it properly to correct some obvious mistakes.

If single edits were used instead of album versions, well, I can't imagine that part of the story.
Because I would like to believe that the band delivered the original recordings to be remastered.

And my final point is: it isn't the first time Universal is messing up some deluxe re-releases.
I remember Soft Cell's Non Stop Erotic Cabaret where they just did the job, ignoring Marc Almonds tracklist.

Lots of errors were made due to lack of care and passion about the music itself on different releases I own.

And, please Andy and PaulB, don't take all these comments personaly.
They are just an expression of disappointment by your biggest fans who have waited far too long
to see one of their favourite albums being remasterd and expanded, being treated with the care they deserve.

So it hurts more than a bit to see what went wrong during the manufacturing.
We’re just waiting looking skyward as the days come down.
Someone promised there’d be answers, if we stayed around.
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby REVO » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:00 pm

As someone who has made his own boxed sets of god for many bands [including OMD - 10 discs worth, in 2001] let me state that the compiler without sin may cast the first stone. Unless you have researched masters yourself, sourced the master recordings, and very carefully compiled the results, you can't know just how difficult it is to do this type of work. With actual labels having untold thousands of tapes archived, it gets downright mind boggling. All it takes is one mislabeling 30 years ago compounded by 2-3 label consolidations and you have the recipe for a disaster. What's not shocking is that inevitably, such errors crop up, it's that they aren't absolutely legion. Am I crestfallen that the work isn't perfect? Sure. Perfection should always be the aim. I really enjoy "The Wrappup." I like it better than the LP cut, in fact. Will I still buy it? Sure. Am I happy to have the album remastered in a modern time period with 2014 A/D conversion? Absolutely!
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
REVO

Postby dazzler » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:57 am

A Dutch friend of mine has the album ready for distribution in the shops.

1. Tesla Girls is indeed the 7" edit.
That's a big mistake.

2. Love and Violence is indeed a shorter edit than the 4.40 minutes on the original album.
I wonder how that came to be? I remember the song has a long fade out, have they shortened it?

3. Wrappup has been replaced by All Wrapped Up.
That's a real shame.

4. Talking Loud and Clear [extended version] omits the intro.
It's a pity, because in the current tracklisting there was enough space to include the intro.
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby abc123 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:09 am

On some sites, Locomotion, L&V and TL&C, are marked as "2015 remaster" on disc 1.
Thank god that not all tracks where remastered!
I'm dancing like a windmill
In my own world, that's how i feel
And it goes round and round, round and round and around.

http://www.bonordin.se/
abc123
Major contributor

Postby Sammi G » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:04 pm

God bless you Dazzler. I think you are the only one left here that has the aspiration that the record company and/or the band , considering the reply earlier , still treat every release as a lovingly crafted work of artistic merit with every last blip or fart polished so that it shines. If my knees were good enough I would be on them paying homage to the fact that you still carry that hope. Thats not cynical , I admire you immensely for still believing.

As it happens , REVO has the truth in his reply above. The band and the record company know that all the collectaphobes and the slavish minnions will be blasting the buttons to get their copy through Amazon or whatever , whether the finished items are labelled correctly or are even has the right items at all ; twelve pounds is twelve pounds after all thank you guv'nor.

What you should maybe consider is that even though your purchase may not tick off all those elusive , hard-to-get memories of 1984 for you , your pennies should at least help towards somebodies orthoscopic surgery and buy another round of Prawn Sandwiches at Universal regardless of the imperfections. I am sure life will go on for the better in those circles.
Tonight Matthew...I'm going to be...Bonnie Tyler
Sammi G

Postby dazzler » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:11 pm

Sammi G wrote:God bless you Dazzler. I think you are the only one left here that has the aspiration that the record company and/or the band , considering the reply earlier , still treat every release as a lovingly crafted work of artistic merit with every last blip or fart polished so that it shines. If my knees were good enough I would be on them paying homage to the fact that you still carry that hope. Thats not cynical , I admire you immensely for still believing.

In 1994 I accompanied the promo team of the Belgian record company PIAS on their missions.
Answer to my question why record companies cared so less about the tracklistings of compilation albums:
"90% of the people will buy the album because they follow the hype, only 10% are really bothered with the tracks."

One might expect that this official OMD forum is a place where that 10% gathers to share its devotion to OMD.
What I tend to read here over the last few years is too much cynism about the backcatalogue and the re-releases.

So I don't mind at all what others are thinking.
I have my entire OMD collection on vinyl, cd and mp3 and can compile my own Junk Culture deluxe.
I was just hoping to lay my hands on remastered versions of all the official tracks, that's all.

I will buy the 2cd deluxe JC because I love to read what PaulB wrote and would like to know the bonus tracks.
I'm not angry, I'm disappointed. It will not affect my love for the band. But I'm fed up with the record companies.
Last edited by dazzler on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:58 pm

It is a shame that the release is messed up. Maybe next time Universal will get it right. After all, it took them 3 attempts to finally get the Songs From The Big Chair remaster/re-issue right for Tears For Fears. Now that is a sumptuous 4 CD 2 DVD box set.
dazzler wrote:I would like to believe that the band delivered the original recordings to be remastered.
I am not picking on you but you have fallen into the trap of thinking that Andy & Paul own any of their old recordings. Right up to Universal, all those OMD album and singles and B-sides and 12 inch remixes and 7 inch picture disc edits are all owned by (ironically) Universal Records. They can do with them whatever they like.

On the basis of this rather disaster I have cancelled my Amazon order (just in time). Sadly they did not have a reason of "the release has been cocked up". Anyway, I have saved myself £15 now. Sorry Andy, but I think you will understand why.

Universal records are not able to organise a drinking session in a brewery.
Time flies but I am not yet old
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby Mark C » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:39 pm

Dazzler, how are you always able to convey your thoughts so well, especially in another language!?!? I applaud you, yet again, for the way you are able to express your feelings in a positive and constructive manner :-)

I agree that disappointment is the right phrase to use here. As with most who have posted about this issue, I just don't understand how some of the errors can happen. I appreciate that mistakes do happen but to have All Wrapped Up twice, surely that's a glaring one that someone should be checking before the manufacturing process begins? You don't have to be the biggest fan of a band to recognise the same song. Or, as Paul B has stated, ask a fan to assist - hell, who wouldn't do that for free? It would save a lot of grief for all involved, especially Andy who has to deal with it here. It's not his fault!

I assume it is the fade out that is shorted on L+V, I really will miss that. I have it cranked up as loud as my car speakers will allow to hear Andy's vocals and the start of Hard Day always makes me jump!!

Disappointment is right but I will not be cancelling my order - I can't wait to hear the tracks again in a new audio glory along with some of the B-sides. Along with the unreleased songs and demo tracks, this is still very much worthwhile.
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby Corky Ninja Kitteh » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:41 pm

Who cares. Give me a 3" CD single with the new tracks/Demos and I'll spend the savings on a cappuccino.

Come on. Shit happens. Be grateful for the new stuff and buy anyway. Otherwise just wait for the reissue of the reissue. You know you want to. It's OMD fan law...
Corky Ninja Kitteh

Postby dazzler » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:22 am

Track times seem to be removed from amazon.uk.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Junk-Culture-Or ... nk+culture
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby dan_hunt » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:13 am

It looks like the listing for the download has been temporarily removed on Amazon and iTunes.
dan_hunt

Postby dazzler » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:48 am

Probably because they will put Wrappup in, as it was remastered according to Andy.
I'm sure everybody who cares does his best to solve the problemes as good as possible.
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby moni » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:32 am

Anybody cancelling this from Amazon just watch you haven't downloaded the AutoRip as you will be charged for it.
moni

Postby Sammi G » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:45 pm

Personally I don't quite get the whole remastered concept and why people want to buy into the whole thing.

The idea of an album surely is that it presents a collection of works that I assume the band and the buyer believe are relevant at the time and perhaps will turn some pennies commercially. It captures those works in that timeframe , together with all the hiss , crackles and fuzz that goes with the inferior recording work that technonolgy as now overtaken 30 years later.

Surely the whole charm of the album then revolves around those imperfections and flaws that the band laid down at the time and pinpoints things "as they were" ?? Its gone .... it was then , this is now.

Listening to a cleaned up version of Apollo doesn't make it sound any more than the plop it was then. A cleaned up version of Love and Violence won't make it any better than it is.

Those are the imperfections that we should be cherishing and not some half-assed botch of a re-release that as Corky points out will probably get re-released AGAIN in another ten years time with new technology with perhaps another bunch of old ideas that didn't make the grade at the time that were down the back of the settee. Its a conveyor belt.

I blanch at the thought of a re-mastered Crush. No doubt however , that the profiteers from this and previous exercises will be rubbing their hands ; or knees.
Tonight Matthew...I'm going to be...Bonnie Tyler
Sammi G

Postby taoyoyo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:07 pm

Does anyone know if there is going to be a lossless digital version released? (Not going to buy MP3s).

Unfortunate about the couple of errors/cuts with the CD pressings... although I would think most people would be happy with lossless downloads provided for the problem tracks? (I usually rip CDs to iTunes as soon as I get them so as long as the intended tracks were available to download it wouldn't be a problem).

I think the remastered concept Sammi talks about is worth it when extra tracks are included. I don't think I would buy 'JC' again purely for the remastered album tracks. The oddities, b-sides and extended mixes (some of which have only appeared on vinyl previously) are the draw for me.

Heh, I'm probably one of the few people on this planet that really likes 'Apollo'. ;)
taoyoyo
Major contributor

PreviousNext

Return to OMD General Discussion