JUNK CULTURE deluxe

General talk about OMD

Moderator: OMD Official

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:53 pm

taoyoyo wrote:I think the remastered concept Sammi talks about is worth it when extra tracks are included. I don't think I would buy 'JC' again purely for the remastered album tracks.
I have never understood what remastered means. Is it an admission that the original mastering was sub-standard? People do think it instantly means "bonus tracks" but are those also being remastered or indeed mastered for the first time ever?

From what my rather poor hearing can tell, there is no difference between an original and remastered version. The long awaited TFF box set of Songs From The Big Chair sounds just the same to me as the original CD from 1985! The bonus tracks are well worth it though.

Mind you, remastering does seem to mean "rack up the volume", presumably to cover up any hiss on the master tapes!
Time flies but I am not yet old
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby REVO » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:55 pm

taoyoyo wrote:Heh, I'm probably one of the few people on this planet that really likes 'Apollo'. ;)

Hey! What's so wrong with "Apollo?" I love that one! It's as dynamic as music gets.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
REVO

Postby dazzler » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:02 pm

About remastering: I'm not a technician, but I know for sure that the first generation of cd's sounded very poor if you compared them with the original vinyl sound quality. If remastering means that you level the cd sound quality up to the standards of a vinyl album, I'm there to buy that album again. Bonustracks are no must, but why not release the full picture if possible? In the past some so called remastered albums did no more than pimping the sound volume (instead of sound quality) and are therefore unfortunately worse sounding than the initial cd's.
Last edited by dazzler on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
We’re just waiting looking skyward as the days come down.
Someone promised there’d be answers, if we stayed around.
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby Mark C » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:27 pm

REVO wrote:
taoyoyo wrote:Heh, I'm probably one of the few people on this planet that really likes 'Apollo'. ;)

Hey! What's so wrong with "Apollo?" I love that one! It's as dynamic as music gets.

Count me in too - I think that the passing of time has been pretty good to this track. Not many 'synthpop' bands (sorry Andy) were attempting rapping were they?

My limited understanding on re-mastering is to that new technologies can improve the previous CD version(s) to bring it more in line with the original studio recordings.

I agree with Tao - it's the additional tracks that give reissues/remasters their appeal, but then that does take us back to the original issue of disappointment with the mistakes!!! :-)
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby Chemiegott » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:03 pm

Ok - here we go - today the cd was released in germany and Amazon send it to me. Well, everything said in this thread is true. Wrappup is a funny joke and some extended versions have been cut.

http://www.amazon.de/Junk-Culture-Delux ... nk+culture

It's a pity that the link to the mp3 download points to the old release. So you can't get any song from the second cd without buying the whole album - i don't know if this is an order by Universal.

A funny detail: If you look at the cover and magnify it - you'll see a faded J before "Orchestal Manoevres" - so this is the first release of "JOrchestal Manoevres" :-))

I just clicked to amazon.com and wondered that the release date in UK is March 10th.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... Caps%2C202

I thought the original release date was February the 2nd.

Does it mean that there will be an updated version Junk Deluxe 2.0? I just wonder that the difference between the realease dates is nearly six weeks.

Sorry if this question sound a little bit naive but i haven't read the whole thread 'cause its a little bit "detailed" ;-)

Cheers,
Michael
'Of the night and the light and the half light'
Take a look here: https://player.vimeo.com/video/15666578
Rest in peace...
Chemiegott

Postby Andrew_K » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:35 am

That's amazon.com, not co.uk. The March date seems to be the US date, rather than the UK, which is still 2nd February.
Andrew_K

Postby taoyoyo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:23 am

BlackPaperCrown wrote:
taoyoyo wrote:I think the remastered concept Sammi talks about is worth it when extra tracks are included. I don't think I would buy 'JC' again purely for the remastered album tracks.
I have never understood what remastered means. Is it an admission that the original mastering was sub-standard? People do think it instantly means "bonus tracks" but are those also being remastered or indeed mastered for the first time ever?

From what my rather poor hearing can tell, there is no difference between an original and remastered version. The long awaited TFF box set of Songs From The Big Chair sounds just the same to me as the original CD from 1985! The bonus tracks are well worth it though.

Mind you, remastering does seem to mean "rack up the volume", presumably to cover up any hiss on the master tapes!

... I guess there are a few reasons for the 'need' to release remastered albums.

If I was a cynical man I'd say the main one is for record labels to get you to buy the album again?! (In the same way that we have all bought movies on VHS, and then upgraded to DVD and now Blu-Ray). This is why the 'Bonus material' is so important... as a lot of fans won't just buy the same album again (even if it is meant to 'sound better') without the 'bonus tracks' carrot.

Audio technology has come a long way in the last 30-40 years so the original mastering might have been good for it's day (not necessarily sub-standard) but also CD mastering/manufacturing was in it's infancy. I have a feeling a lot of labels were rush-releasing CDs of band's previous releases to jump on the bandwagon (OMD's first four albums were probably a victim of this?) without really investing a lot of time/money investigating the new medium.

Part of the remastering 'craze' is no doubt to bring the overall levels of the music up to the volume that we expect today (though hopefully not to squash any dynamic range that was in the original recording) but also to improve on the original (which may have been lacking bass, clarity or warmth in some areas etc). Maybe we as listeners didn't notice anything 'wrong' but the artist feels that it never sounded the way they wanted it to).

One further thought... in this age of high quality digital downloads it is surprising to me that a digital version of the 'deluxe edition' with the 'full versions' of all these tracks was not considered. After all, there are no time restrictions compared to physical releases.
taoyoyo
Major contributor

Postby Chemiegott » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:00 am

Andrew_K wrote:That's amazon.com, not co.uk. The March date seems to be the US date, rather than the UK, which is still 2nd February.

Errr, yes, thanks. It was late and i was so surprised that i haven't recognized the first level domain.
Ok - no JC 2.0 - just a short dream. ;-) You've pulled me back to reality.
'Of the night and the light and the half light'
Take a look here: https://player.vimeo.com/video/15666578
Rest in peace...
Chemiegott

Postby Andrew_K » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:20 pm

I know, reality sucks sometimes. Had a dream that I've already received my JC copy, I was just about to press play on the 2nd CD...
Andrew_K

Postby dazzler » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:10 pm

Thank you, taoyoyo, for a clear answer to the questions about remastering.
We’re just waiting looking skyward as the days come down.
Someone promised there’d be answers, if we stayed around.
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby abc123 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:50 pm

Mark C wrote:
REVO wrote:

Count me in too - I think that the passing of time has been pretty good to this track. Not many 'synthpop' bands (sorry Andy) were attempting rapping were they?

My limited understanding on re-mastering is to that new technologies can improve the previous CD version(s) to bring it more in line with the original studio recordings.

I agree with Tao - it's the additional tracks that give reissues/remasters their appeal, but then that does take us back to the original issue of disappointment with the mistakes!!! :-)

Count me in to! It might not be the strongest composition, but the arrangement/production makes it a gem on the album.The guitar work and the quirky synths are great, and smurf-voices are back in fashion more than ever.
I'm dancing like a windmill
In my own world, that's how i feel
And it goes round and round, round and round and around.

http://www.bonordin.se/
abc123
Major contributor

Postby colcol » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:54 pm

my copy has now been dispatched by amazon, should get it monday...
colcol
Major contributor

Postby Rosjos » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:55 pm

This a complete shambles ... I read Dazzler's post in complete disbelief, it was like a personal conspiracy as I worked my way down the list of f*** ups, since each track screwed up or omitted were those tracks I was most eagerly awaiting - Wrappup, TL&C extended, the album tracks remastered not the edited 7" single versions...

Wrappup and the intro to TL&C are biggies, so forgive me for cancelling my Amazon order. My choice - I shall await the outcome of the digital release or any amends Universal make to re-issue the physical release to compensate for their incompetence.

Yes, I know there are more important things going on in the world. Just my tuppence worth in the context of the 'Junk Culture defuxed it up edition' CD release :-(
Rosjos

Postby colcol » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:48 pm

Rosjos wrote:This a complete shambles ... I read Dazzler's post in complete disbelief, it was like a personal conspiracy as I worked my way down the list of f*** ups, since each track screwed up or omitted were those tracks I was most eagerly awaiting - Wrappup, TL&C extended, the album tracks remastered not the edited 7" single versions...

Wrappup and the intro to TL&C are biggies, so forgive me for cancelling my Amazon order. My choice - I shall await the outcome of the digital release or any amends Universal make to re-issue the physical release to compensate for their incompetence.

Yes, I know there are more important things going on in the world. Just my tuppence worth in the context of the 'Junk Culture defuxed it up edition' CD release :-(

totally agree, but you do get nice sleeve-notes...
colcol
Major contributor

Postby PaulB » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:05 pm

One further thought... in this age of high quality digital downloads it is surprising to me that a digital version of the 'deluxe edition' with the 'full versions' of all these tracks was not considered. After all, there are no time restrictions compared to physical releases.

That makes sense if you only have a digital download version available, but if you had an enhanced digital version and a cut-down CD version then fans would complain that they'd have to buy it twice - and some are already complaining about buying it once! (with valid concerns to be fair).
PaulB
Major contributor

PreviousNext

Return to OMD General Discussion