JUNK CULTURE deluxe

General talk about OMD

Moderator: OMD Official

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby feline1 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:40 pm

zerohero1266 wrote:
feline1 wrote:All the OMD remastering I've heard so far has been very nicely done, nothing but an improvement on the sound.

Indeed, I've been pretty lucky with remasters that I've bought - the sort of bands I like seem to have avoided some of the worst "loudness wars" nonsense.

The only remaster I've bought so far which was noticeably and objectively AWFUL was by Kraftwerk - I dipped by toe in the water with the Autobahn remaster and could hardly believe what I was hearing - appalling ham-fisted denoising, with all the attendant "gurgle wurgle" sonic artefacting. No one Florian quit the band!

Sorry got to disagree about the Kraftwerk remasters,I bought the box set & it was a marked improvement or previous CD's.To listen to the start of 'Radioactivity' with no 'hiss' was worth the price alone !

Well can you not hear what I'm talking about on 'Autobahn'?
Listen to the start of the title track where they slam the car door and drive off,
or the 'bird song' on Morgenspaziergang -
there's howlingly-schoolboy-error type digital gurgle-wurgle artefacting from over-zealous use of noise reduction.

Having listened in consternation to that, I didn't bother to buy any more of those remasters.

But if you can't hear those gurgle wurgles, then I guess you'll enjoy them! :)
feline1

Postby Andrew_K » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:41 pm

I do listen with my ears, but I sense that something's up. I look at my 80s VU levels and I do see that something is not quite right. I then rip the CD and have a look at the waveform and bang, there's your problem. I am clearly not the only one who notices this, as the CDs have definitely gone better over the last few years, they are not as compressed as they used to be in the last decade, but they have some ways to go to reach the quality of 80s/90s CDs. The loudness wars are definitely a way to kill music...
Andrew_K

Postby feline1 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:36 pm

80s CDs quite often sounded GHASTLY, the audio was usually digitized horrible brickwall filters to remove frequencies above the nyquist limit and the much-cruder D-to-A convertors of the day, it made everything sound brittle and gritty. Plus they'd often use the vinyl masters which had been pre-eq'ed for vinyl (bass roll-off, etc). ARRRGH.

There is more to perceived dynamic range than just looking at a waveform on a screen, you know.
Obviously there has been some hideous "Loudness wars" mastering done over the years, but nothing in OMD's back catalogue was ever subjected to that. Usually it was done to rubbish guitar bands whose music was irredeemable crap anyway :)
feline1

Postby Mark C » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:50 pm

Deluxe version not out until 2015 now - gutted!

(Andy and Paul are on Radio 6 music right now)
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby Mark C » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:52 pm

Just played snippets of the demos for White Trash and Heaven Is - wow!!
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby colcol » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:07 pm

Mark C wrote:Deluxe version not out until 2015 now - gutted!

(Andy and Paul are on Radio 6 music right now)

i was listening, feel the same way you do Mark...
colcol
Major contributor

Postby Andrew_K » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:23 pm

At least we heard a snippet as to what there is to expect. Loved every second of it. Definitely looking forward to the release
Andrew_K

Postby colcol » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:51 pm

Andrew_K wrote:At least we heard a snippet as to what there is to expect. Loved every second of it. Definitely looking forward to the release

true mate, but there goes my xmas present to self. also thought the interview was a tad short, radcliffe was quite positive though, no mention of Mal...
colcol
Major contributor

Postby Andrew_K » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Did you just made an educated guess that 'Heaven Is' will be included in this edition (in another thread), or have you heard something from someone?
Andrew_K

Postby colcol » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:36 pm

on omd's facebook page...
colcol
Major contributor

Postby Andrew_K » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:39 pm

How the heck did I miss that...???

Also, is there a need to upload a rip of their today's interview on BBC Radio 6? Personally I like to collect these things, so if there's someone else who wants a copy, let me know and I can upload it...
Andrew_K

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:11 pm

Listen here (available for 4 weeks) and it starts approximately 1h35m42s in.

The other good news (for the folk who could not buy tickets for the two gigs) is they might be doing another, sometime
Time flies but I am not yet old
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby colcol » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:59 pm

BlackPaperCrown wrote:Listen here (available for 4 weeks) and it starts approximately 1h35m42s in.

The other good news (for the folk who could not buy tickets for the two gigs) is they might be doing another, sometime

who else amongst us senses a major DS tour...
colcol
Major contributor

Postby OMD Official » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:46 am

Here is an audio stream of just the interview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p029n88p
OMD Official
Site Admin

Postby moni » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:21 pm

Amazon still have it listed as being released on the November 25 no doubt they will need to be corrected.
moni

PreviousNext

Return to OMD General Discussion