My Dazzle Table

OMD inspired artwork, videos, media, covers and other creative projects.

Moderator: OMD Official

Re: My Dazzle Table

Postby Elevena » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:31 am

:lol: I'm not a neuropsychologist, but I play one on the internet...(I have taken a class in neuropsychology in real life, but seriously, it didn't prepare me for the spew up above...that's just nonsense!)
I dance about ships and airplanes.
Elevena
Major contributor

Postby JunoJockey » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:40 am

Sensoria wrote:You rang? can you tell how exciting my Friday night is that I jumped right on this?

daztablewhite.jpg

daztablebrown.jpg

daztableblack.jpg

What if you painted it a glossy black or white? It looks fantastic btw. Awesome job!

Those are fantastic 8)
Wonderful work laura :D
JunoJockey

Postby SynthPop2011 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:44 am

it looks really good , laura ! :D
sensoria's black tinted wood example is probably the way to go , as i think so too ! ;)
however ... great work indeed ! 8)

Elevena wrote:
summermuse wrote:Why did you choose to keep 2 whole tiles in there instead of breaking them up?
Sensoria can you try a lighter gray stain (like battleship/old picnic table) too?

Practically, it makes it so I don't have to find the "puzzle pieces" for that area. I can fill a large area with one go and it saves a little time. I also like the way it looks, as a kind of memory back to how all the tiles once were. I also think it's a kind of tease for the brain. Our brains try to find regular shapes and lines, and although there's a certain amount of order in the circles and lines, there's a lot of chaos in the broken tiles, and then the eye snags on the square tile and says, "YES!! a regular shape!! but then the regular shape is still caught up in the chaos of the broken tiles. Other than that, there's no special reason.

i was also curious about that detail , but haven't dared to ask it before ! :oops:
anyway ... i like your explanation & don't find it's "artsy-fartsy bullshite" @ all - but jus' honest - , laura ! :)

cheers to u now ! 8)
>> further communication via http://twitter.com/Olaf_HB <<
SynthPop2011

Postby Sensoria » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:06 pm

Elevena wrote:
summermuse wrote:Why did you choose to keep 2 whole tiles in there instead of breaking them up?
Sensoria can you try a lighter gray stain (like battleship/old picnic table) too?

daztablegrey.jpg
daztablegrey.jpg (49.52 KiB) Viewed 7561 times

Elevena wrote: then the regular shape is still caught up in the chaos of the broken tiles. .

that is a pretty awesome sentence!
With every little word You're getting closer to me
Talking loud and clear Saying just what we feel today
Sensoria

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:39 pm

Elevena wrote:
Sensoria wrote:What if you painted it a glossy black or white? It looks fantastic btw. Awesome job!

WOW!! That's awesome! OK that tells me one thing--the cherry brown is OUT! I think the black might be the way to go! I like the white, too, but I like black better. Thanks!!

Looks fantastic, great choice on the grout colour. I was worried. :?

Well I'm obviously no artsy-fartsy kinda of guy, but I actually thought the cherry brown looked really good. Thought it made the tiles really pop!!!

Just my 2c, now I'm going to look up Neu-rop-syc-holly-ooo-gisty, or whatever it is. :wink:

Hmm this thread certainly got high-brow all of a sudden. :shock:
Set the dials to overload.
Mark
Major contributor

Postby Elevena » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:15 am

Mark wrote:Well I'm obviously no artsy-fartsy kinda of guy, but I actually thought the cherry brown looked really good. Thought it made the tiles really pop!!!

There's nothing really WRONG about the cherry brown color, Mark, it's just not the look I want. I do like the look of Cherry with black, I just am after something different. That's all :D .
Elevena
Major contributor

Postby Elevena » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:40 am

Thanks for the kind complements :D . The next picture I post will be when I get it fully completed, all sanded, primed, painted, and polyurethaned. I don't know how much I be able to work on it next week, but we'll see!

Mark, I know you suggested a lighter color grout, so I'm glad you like the darker color. I have another mosaic table that gets used every day. It has a pale yellow grout and even though it's sealed, I still have issues with coffee, wine, and other things staining it. That's ONE of the reasons I went with the darker color. The main reason I went with the darker is because I like it! :D
Elevena
Major contributor

Postby Mark » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:36 am

No worries, it’s your art and you need to be strong to your convictions. Hopefully a different opinion just helps you to clarify what you are looking for. Even if it points out what you are not looking for. :)

Hmm hopefully that made some kind of sense. Whatever direction you go I know it’s going to look terrific.
Set the dials to overload.
Mark
Major contributor

Postby skippy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Wow what a great job you've done on the table - you must be so pleased with how its turned out so far - I hope you manage to find the 'right' wood stain.
skippy
Major contributor

Postby Elevena » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Thanks Skippy! I'm so close to finishing, but I haven't had whatever it takes to work on it for the past 2 weeks. The last part-the finishing and painting are not exciting and it's a little tedious, but I'll get it done. I hope next week I'll have a chunk of time. With the kids out of school it makes things tricky! This summertime business is nonsense!!! :lol:
Elevena
Major contributor

Postby NicTheBeard » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:28 pm

Hey, now you just need one of these to put your table in:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270804767499

Sorry, tried to link to the bigger picture on eBay but couldn't work it out! - it's a Dazzle beach hut from the South Bank centre's Festival of Britain exhibition, and is currently £100
NicTheBeard
Major contributor

Postby Elevena » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Ha!! Nic, that's GREAT!! It'd be great to put a dazzle table inside a dazzle shed! (oh gosh, that reminds me...I haven't worked on the table for a couple of months now. I've got to get that finished!!)
Elevena
Major contributor

Postby Paul McAllister » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:23 pm

That`s Fantastic!- I painted the Dazzle Ships Sleeve art in Humbrol Model Paint on my old Canvas SchoolBag back in 1984.

None of my friends knew who OMD were.

I wish I had kept it,but I think it got thrown out somewhere.

It was actually rather good,except the paint flaked a little.
I`m not racist,I hate everyone in equal meassure :-)
Paul McAllister
Major contributor

Postby tomyyboyy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:30 am

I know this is really late, but I wanted to know if you have finished the DieCut sleeve for the table yet?.... :lol:
Everyone Says Hi
tomyyboyy

Postby Elevena » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:19 am

Well, Finally, after a very, very long hiatus, I have finished the table. I put the last coat of Polyurethane on it this afternoon! Here's how it looks right now, still sitting in the garage:

Elevena
Major contributor

PreviousNext

Return to OMD-inspired Art