Which bands have you bought tickets to see in 2015?

Open discussion and debate about non-OMD topics including news, film & TV, music, sport etc.

Moderator: OMD Official

Re: Which bands have you bought tickets to see in 2015?

Postby Mark C » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:49 pm

I've not been to many shows this year but here goes:

Public Service Broadcasting - Leicester Space Centre
Future Islands - London Roundhouse
Public Service Broadcasting - Cambridge Corn Exchange
Leon Bridges - London Shepherds Bush Empire
Swim Deep - Cambridge Junction
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby Elevena » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:52 am

My Desaparacidos gig got cancelled (it's hard being a middle aged punk rocker, I suppose). I was fortunate enough to be able to see AWOLNATION last week and then I also got to go see Houndmouth for the second time last Wednesday. I think I'll go see Missing Persons on Saturday...or not... :D
I dance about ships and airplanes.
Elevena
Major contributor

Postby Indestructible » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:00 pm

Will have to keep a log of gigs in 2016 as memory rubbish. Recent highlight was a trip to the states and saw Kraftwerk in Miami.
Indestructible

Postby martyn » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:37 am

Brilliant set last night by Katzenjammer at Cambridge Junction (took my sister - her first gig is years and years).

Next up recently purchased ticket for Caro Emerald at Southend 3rd Dec

Martyn
martyn

Postby amhilde » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:35 pm

Possibly Chairlift next Tuesday. Love their first album, tickets are cheap.
"Alan Wilder isn't a saint, he's a god. Big difference"

ALAN!
[karl!]
amhilde

Postby Mark C » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:12 pm

Not sure this counts as such but I just watched the live stream of Public Service Broadcasting from London's Brixton Academy. They are always amazing to experience live but tonight was very special indeed :-)
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:20 pm

BlackPaperCrown wrote:Kim Wilde (18th December, London) her, becoming annual, Christmas extravaganza show

The two support acts for this show are Altered Images and Heaven 17. It is turning into an out-of-season Rewind Festival ... superb!
Time flies but I am not yet old
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:50 pm

A late one sneaked in there -
White live on Christmas at The Quay with Edith Bowman being recorded for the radio at BBC Scotland on 16/12/2015. I snagged a ticket in their random draw. I am so excited about this (well, it is White and they are Britain's most exciting live band)
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:38 pm

It is time for my annual overview of the of the year; 2015 was a busy year.

Number of gigs 246, seeing 544 performances. (not as many gigs as last year, but I was working this year - that took up a lot of my time)

Number of different bands and artists seen 401

Great acts I saw multiple times
WHITE (11)
Emma Stevens (8)
Jo Hill (7)
Other Humans (7)
Josie Duncan (6)
Rachel Sermanni (6)
Honeyblood (5)
Kathryn Joseph (5)
Leddra Chapman (5)
Sophie Rogers (5)
Ben Montague (4)
How To Swim (4)
Le Thug (4)
Paper Aeroplanes (4)
Siobhan Wilson (4)
Apache Darling (3)
Harriet (3)
Kim Wilde (3)

Popular venues for gigs (with shows seen)
47 bands across 17 gigs at Sneaky Pete's in Edinburgh
37 bands across 13 gigs at King Tut's Wah Wah Hut in Glasgow
25 bands across 10 gigs at Electric Circus in Edinburgh
20 bands across 8 gigs at Broadcast in Glasgow
12 bands across 7 gigs at Voodoo Rooms in Edinburgh
11 bands across 11 gigs at Tron Kirk in Edinburgh
11 bands across 9 gigs at Famous Grouse House in Edinburgh
and 6 gigs via Online (Stageit)

My top 10 most entertaining gigs of the year are (in alphabetical order)
Apache Darling in Glasgow. A wonderful find. Great songs, great stage presence and very talented. The way that entertainment should be
Ben Montague in Newcastle. He put on a very special show and even went fully unplugged as the audience gathered around for one special song. Ben has matured nicely
Emma Stevens in Edinburgh. She was not the headline act, but she grabbed the audience's attention right from the start and played the show of her life. Magnificent
Harriet in London. She showcased her music to a selected audience and entranced us all. She is has such an amazing voice
Jefferson Starship in Gateshead. They played one of their older albums in its entirety and I had never heard any of the songs but they did such a fantastic job. The band were so tight and they rocked the place
Kim Wilde in London. She played her now annual Christmas gig and she played for 2 hours thrilling the crowd with songs old, new, Christmassy and blue. She is such a brilliant performer and her band are brilliant behind her too
My Life Story in Newcastle. Jake is back and kicking it. It is such a treat to see that band live
Sheppard in Glasgow. This band from Australia are currently conquering the world and showed no signs of stopping as they astounded the Glaswegian audience
Siobhan Wilson in Edinburgh. She played to less than 50 people in sold-out venue and every one of us were totally spellbound by her beautiful voice
The Icicle Works in Glasgow. Okay, neither of the Chrises were there given they don't speak to Ian McNabb any more but the band he assembled, including Roy Corkhill (bass player with Black from way back), were utterly showstopping. The Icicle Works are so good live

and finally, a special mention to WHITE. Every single time I saw them, all 11 times, they were nothing short of fantastic, putting on the show of their lives each time. They are a band to see if you can on their tour in February 2016 and they really are Britain's most exciting live band

and the biggest disappointment
Wolf Alice What is the fuss all about with this lot? Very dull music and I am clearly at odds with the sold-out crowd (hype is sadly everything nowadays) but this band is just not interesting (very much like Bombay Bicycle Club last year)

Some first time ever sees (after knowing about them for some or for many years)
Bill Bailey (he is a comedian but it was still a gig given he is great musician)
Dave Edmunds
Duran Duran
Enter Shikari
First Aid Kit
Jack Savoretti
Jessie J
Joe Lynn Turner
Jungle
Karnataka
King Charles
Lene Lovich
Lisa Mitchell
Lurkers
Mostly Autumn
Paper Aeroplanes
Puddles Pity Party
Seal
Sister Sledge
Social Distortion
Spizzenergi
St Vincent
The Hoosiers
The Sisters Of Mercy
The Tubes
The Vaselines
Tom Baxter
Twin Atlantic
UK Subs
Virgin Money Fireworks (okay, this was the end of festival fireworks display but it was spectacular)
Ward Thomas
Whitesnake
Wolf Alice
Zella Day

footnote: Many of the ones I would not normally pay to see (Jessie J, Jungle, Joe Lynn Turner, etc) were at festivals so I took the chance to see them. Many of them - never again!

How many bands or artists did I meet afterwards?
143 (grabbing every chance I could to thank them for their gigs)

One last point to some specific artists; think twice before going on stage drunk or off your face on drugs. It does not improve your performance, your mistakes are not funny to us and, given we paid good money to see you, you should have a bit more respect for your audience. Shall I name names? Okay - Ded Rabbit, Rachael Yamagata, Janet Devlin, The Holy Ghosts and Sample Answer. Sort your act out

But, to leave it on a nice note, a big thank you to all the good bands and the talented artists for the opportunity to see them play live in 2015
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Previous

Return to Open Discussion