SUPER

Open discussion and debate about non-OMD topics including news, film & TV, music, sport etc.

Moderator: OMD Official

SUPER

Postby Miochoco » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:03 pm

"SUPER" is the new album of PSB

Already, the album track listing is as follows:

Happiness
The Pop Kids
Twenty-something
Groovy
The dictator decides
Pazzo!
Inner sanctum
Undertow
Sad robot world
Say it to me
Burn
Into thin air

That's super!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)
Miochoco

Re: SUPER

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:45 pm

It seems that Joe Jackson is a fan of the album. Read all about it here in the non-Sunday Papers
Time flies but I am not yet old
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby Mark C » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:23 pm

Hey Mio! :-)

I heard the new single on the radio this week. It's unmistakably PSB but I'm not feeling it, though I haven't really followed them for a while now. In general, the songs I've heard from the last 10 years or so are very similar in sound and production and I find it difficult to tell them apart.
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby Miochoco » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:24 am

Mark C wrote:Hey Mio! :-)

I heard the new single on the radio this week. It's unmistakably PSB but I'm not feeling it, though I haven't really followed them for a while now. In general, the songs I've heard from the last 10 years or so are very similar in sound and production and I find it difficult to tell them apart.

Yes like me, disappointed by the album and the rest

PS: sorry for my very late reply ... a year 2016 very difficult for me but now it goes, I go up the slope ;-) :-)
Miochoco

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:58 pm

Miochoco wrote:Yes like me, disappointed by the album and the rest
What? And I have just bought a ticket to see them play live in Edinburgh in February. That is my first time ever seeing them.

Hmm, I will go anyway but I will swat up on the album too ... in for a penny; in for a pound
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:17 am

Well, I now have SUPER and I too am wondering what all the fuss was about.

Okay, you know I am not a PSB fan and so any review of their material by me is going to be a bit tainted but I am a firm believer that if a tune is good, then the song stands up and I will happily recognise it for what it is. The trouble with SUPER is that there are barely any good tunes on it.

It starts off badly for me. The first two tracks Happiness and The Pop Kids have both been tranced. Now, trance is a genre of music that I hate. It is my ideal of music hell. Trance works on the premise that there is not enough of a song there to fill the 3m59s so all you need do is take the hook and start to phase, fade, overly (edit: ugh, I meant "over-lay") and re-re-re-re-repeat it to make up the time. It is a really lazy way to create music and has no place in a decent modern society. As far as I am concerned the only people who enjoy that sort of rubbish are off their face on drugs. Indeed, that is probably the only way you can enjoy it. So, while these two songs might actually have stood a chance if they had been normally pop-mixed, especially as there is a reasonable tune within Happiness, these deliberate trance mixes are truly horrible and totally ruin them.

Next up is Twenty-something which is the polar opposite but not in a good way. This is their retro song but they have tried to be far too clever and minimalistically 80s with it and subsequently failed miserably. It comes over like a long-lost Baltic folk song that really should have stayed hidden. The use of a Casio keyboard built-in drum beat does not even manage to lift it anywhere close to the top of the deep pit they have dug for it.

Groovy is a straight up but really quite annoying disco song. It is mercifully short

The dictator decides is their experimental song and implies that it could be a nod to what OMD did in the early years. It is not but it has a touch of DAF meets Yello which catches your ear nicely. It even has a tune which is good to hear. It is one of the stand out tracks but that is only because the others are so far back

Pazzo! this song reverts back to the disco repetitive mess that I hate. Thankfully it finishes quickly.

Inner sanctum this song has been promoted as a killer track. No, it just kills your ears. Yet another damned annoying trance nightmare

Undertow this track is one of those songs that runs out of ideas very quickly and so is elongated to fill time. Repeating the chorus multiple times does not make a for a good song guys

Sad robot world This is more like it. It is the best song on the album and if you have the chance, give it a listen. The album is not worth buying for this one song alone but it is very close. The Buggles would be very proud had they written this song

Say it to me Oh bl**dy hell, yet another trance mess. Please make it stop ...

Burn This one starts well and has quite a few redeeming qualities. Indeed, it is actually quite good. The lyrics are a bit weak but the tune stands up well because they have not over-produced it

Into thin air finally the last song. Skip it, you are really not missing anything

I know there are some PSB fans here but I wonder if they agree that SUPER is really quite poor. Sorry. Better luck next time
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby taoyoyo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Well, if you were aiming for the Waldorf and Stadtler 'don't understand PSB and/or dance music at all' grumpy old man review that then that was a winner!

As a PSB 'fan' I will say that 'Super' is nowhere near as good (or consistent) as their last album 'Electric' (but I doubt you'd like it any more or less than 'Super') but sorry, 'Pop Kids', 'Say it to Me', 'Inner Sanctum', 'Burn', 'Into thin Air' are all top-notch PSB tracks (and all quality pop songs regardless of how they are 'dressed up' production-wise).

Seriously recommend you sell your PSB ticket, you're not going to have a good time at all.
taoyoyo
Major contributor

Postby amhilde » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:55 pm

Gonna wade in on this one given my (our) history with the group.

The Swede turned to me the other week and said "You know, I havent listened to Super since it came out." For me that was pretty much about the worst thing he could ever say about (one of) his most favorite bands.

I have no idea why they rushed this album out (and apparently there are another 20 tracks or so somewhere else that didn't make the cut!) but the good half of this (Pop Kids, Dictator Decides, Twentysomething, Inner Sanctum) married with the good half of Electric would have made an amazing album. This one had some tinny production, but Twentysomething I thought was brilliant, the video even better. I hated Burn on the album, but it was incredible live. Which is the key - a PSB show isn't like any other and how they produce it is far beyond a "normal" band. However, it can, I suppose, come off as very "high brow" and if that isn't your thing then its probably best to give it a miss.

Will agree that Groovy just about did me in though. There was no saving that one, I kept looking around for Marsha Brady.
"Alan Wilder isn't a saint, he's a god. Big difference"

ALAN!
[karl!]
amhilde

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Well, I decided not to take Taoyoyo's advice and I have now seen The Pet Shop Boys live for the very first time. The sold-out crowd loved the show and, visually, it was very well done. Their music is still not to my taste and I don't care what you say; The Pop Kids is a very weak song (sorry, it really is) even when played live. But as the crowd were caught up in the euphoria of seeing the duo plus 3 backing musicians live, they did not seem to mind them playing it twice! The highlight was It's A Sin. That worked very well indeed.

As I left the venue, flooding along with the stream of other people, I did spot at the merchandise stall that I could have spent £100 on a limited edition hand signed litho print. Hmm, maybe not, thanks
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Return to Open Discussion