New music from ABC.

Open discussion and debate about non-OMD topics including news, film & TV, music, sport etc.

Moderator: OMD Official

New music from ABC.

Postby pizzaerick » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:02 am

Very pumped for the new ABC release. Not liking the album title 'Lexicon of Love: Part 2'. But then it holds with the theme from 'Lexicon' with 'Look of Love Part 1' etc.

They parallel OMD with the release of a dramatically differnt follow up to a smash hit album... But then Dazzle Ships got better with time. Beauty Stab... Not so much.
pizzaerick

Re: New music from ABC.

Postby REVO » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:16 pm

I respectfully disagree on "Beauty Stab." That was the best, bravest record they could have ever made. I equally love the first three ABC albums, which are all incredibly diverse in sound.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
REVO

Re: New music from ABC.

Postby pizzaerick » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:22 am

Well, we can disagree. I still remember clearly the summer evening I found out ABC even had a second album. Standing outside Beenie's arcade and another kid spotted the ABC pins on my grey jean jacket (just the picture of the 80's). He raved that it was the best album ever... Well, at least we agreed ABC is awesome...

My assessment of Dazzle Ships is Frank Zappa you can dance to. It was different for certain, but different than anything I had heard before. It was new.

Beauty Stab OTOH was not exactly fresh and new sounding. Guitar, sax, drum and bass go back to earliest rock and roll. It wasn't new or exciting. Where my favorite tracks from the Lexicon era were the jazz and lounge B sides, I appreciate what they tried to do on Beauty Stab. Martin's performance on BS was not on par with any of the other albums.

One of the reasons I love OMD and ABC is because each album is it's own style. ABC have explored several sub-genera of music, most of the time successfully. BS missed the mark for IMO musically, while I admire the effort it still remains stylistically the furthest from Lexicon of all ABCs albums. I am glad you like it though, or as I have learned to say at restaurants... "It's just not to my taste."

ABC may have written a song called 'Minneapolis', but they have only been here twice ever. OMD have been here seven times (and an 8th show that was cancelled) with another this summer. Thanks Andy, Paul, and everyone else.
pizzaerick

Return to Open Discussion