The Purple One...

Open discussion and debate about non-OMD topics including news, film & TV, music, sport etc.

Moderator: OMD Official

The Purple One...

Postby pizzaerick » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:35 am

Don't know how it is being recieved elsewhere, but the passing of Prince today has captured Minnesota completely. Here it is bigger news than Michael Jackson and Bowie combined. Lots of commentary about the 'real' Prince vs the public persona. From people I knew that worked for him, things he did (like call in his personal DJ at 3 a.m. to spin records for a spur of the moment party at Paisley Park... And not show up at the party himself) are not entirely strange... if you had the money to do that kind of thing. Mostly, I have never heard a bad story about Prince (explicit lyrics aside). Everything I have ever heard or read about the man paint him as someone that is devoted to his craft, does it extreamly well, is a businessman, very private and quiet, and generous to his fans.

It is onteresting to me also that in the pre-internet age, there were an aweful lot of bootleg tapes of very polished Prince studio material. This all just after the 'Black Album' was pulled. By the time the Black Album was released, everybody that cared enough already had a copy.

Sad to see another legend pass.
pizzaerick

Re: The Purple One...

Postby REVO » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:13 pm

I first heard Prince when "Dirty Mind" was released and I saw a video on some pre-MTV thing. I could tell from that point that he was going very interesting places; taking funk forward into the 80s. When "Controversy" was released, I started buying, but by the time after "Purple Rain" I got off the bus for reasons unknown. The last 10 years saw me complaining that I had no Prince music on CD but not doing too much about it. You hardly ever saw the early material in a used bin [kinder to my budget]. Finally, last Fall I started doing things about it! I went on a Prince jag that saw me buying several albums and the "Ultimate" 2xCD filled with 7" edits and extended 12" versions. He was a super talented guy who accomplished a lot. I did not see this coming from a distance at all.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
REVO

Postby Mark C » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:32 pm

Very sad news, 2016 has not been a good year so far. I was lucky to see him at Wembley Arena in 1995 around the time of The Gold Experience album. I didn't fully appreciate it at the time (like most things in life I guess) but I love so many of his songs. I have strong memories of the time in my life that are helped by Prince's music.

Rest In Purple.
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby BrianFromCali » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:06 am

I wasn't a huge Prince fan in terms of buying his music. But, there is no question he is one of the best musicians/songwriters over the past 30 years. He is arguably the best guitarist. He plays other instruments well, like piano. He has written many hits for other artists like Sheena Easton, Sinead O' Connor, Shiela E...just to name a few. He arranges music. He produced it. He merged new wave with R&B and came up with something unique. I think he alienated some people when he changed his performing name to a symbol and the whole the artist formerly known as Prince era. The cool thing is that he took on record companies because he didn't think they were being fair to artists. The really creepy thing is the song "Let's Go Crazy" starts with a funeral line "Dearly beloved we are gathered here today" and then talks about "not letting the elevator bring us down" and he died in the elevator. Very prophetic, sadly.
BrianFromCali

Postby pizzaerick » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:32 am

He was very frustrated about the rap he got for the symbol thing. The symbol meant "Prince". The name change was writing as a symbol instead of spelling out the word... And it was about challenging the record company... NOT because he was looney.

One thing it is easy to miss in the "Prince Sound", also called the "Minneapolis Sound", are his use of drum machines sampling and synths. Many of his songs were surprisingly simple and bare. 'When Doves Cry' is always mentioned for not having bass. I heard it wasn't meant to be that way, but Prince kept elimnating tracks until he thought it sounded good. It's the drum machine, the electronic piano, and his voice that drive that recording. I saw him a couple times. Great shows.
pizzaerick

Return to Open Discussion