Kraftwerk 2016

Open discussion and debate about non-OMD topics including news, film & TV, music, sport etc.

Moderator: OMD Official

Kraftwerk 2016

Postby Mark C » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:47 am

Missed out on tickets for Royal Albert Hall :-(

I actually wasn't too fussed, having seen them in Brixton in 2004 (we bumped into Paul H when leaving but that's another story!) but my Dad messaged me last night saying he would like to see them. He bought MM and CW when they were released and I have strong memories of hearing those albums as a child, they were so different to anything else I'd heard until then so I was more than happy to go with him.

As expected though, the cheapest tickets sold out almost instantly and although others became available a little later, neither of us can justify around £100 per ticket, especially now he has retired.

Pretty gutted right now, especially as my Dad was keen to go. Oh well.

:-(
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Re: Kraftwerk 2016

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:13 pm

Interestingly and conversely, I have no desire whatsoever to see Kraftwerk live. I am not exactly sure just how "live" they are when on stage anyway.

First and foremost, the band now comprises just one original member (Ralf, according to Wikipedia) so it is debatable just how truly "Kraftwerk" they are now. Do not worry, I am not going to labour this point because it is the case for so many bands that are still, thankfully, going 30 to 40 years on - OMD being one of them!

However, one other problem I have is that Kraftwerk have not released any new music since 2003. Maybe they have hit a bit of a dry spell.

My biggest beef with Kraftwerk live is that you are apparently handed a pair of 3D glasses and expected to watch a bl**dy video for 90 minutes while the band blip and blurp along as a soundtrack. That is not my idea of fun.

And I have had my chance to see them too. I was at T In The Park in 2013 when they headlined the King Tut's tent. I stayed for the prior superb show by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (their last UK show before their present hiatus) and then left before Kraftwerk came on, thus beating the traffic jams out of the festival site and not having to watch a quartet of blokes standing there seemingly not doing very much at all.

In my opinion, if you missed out on a ticket to see Kraftwerk at the RAH, then you have saved a bag full of money and have the freedom to go to a decent gig that night instead.
Time flies but I am not yet old
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby Mark C » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:39 pm

You're right about the line up changes, and potentially right about the amount of music being played 'live', but my disappointment was more around not being able to see them with my Dad. He's aware of the changes in line up but that wasn't an issue; I think it was more focused on being able to hear those songs live for the first time.

I will keep looking for extra ticket releases, you never know.
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:42 pm

I'm going to see them in Dublin, I've been waiting to see the 3D show come over here for ages.
Jabberwocky

Postby Lee D » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:13 pm

I got tickets for the Manchester Gig on the 19th June. It wasn't without the usual ticket tribulations.
Lee D

Postby Mark C » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:38 pm

Nice work guys, I'm pleased for you! Jammy gits :-)
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:10 pm

Thank you, I would have been gutted to miss out.
Jabberwocky

Postby REVO » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:43 pm

It's interesting to hear the changes in arrangement on the live numbers. I last saw them at Moogfest 2014. Three sets, all different. Songs were different from set to set. One set had an English "Model" the next got a different, Germanic arrangement. The last set had an almost full length, vintage "Autobahn!" Their "Katalog" shows have given Kraftwerk a real boost in terms of what they can deliver in a given show, I think. They are more interesting "live" then on disc for the last 30 years. If they can bring this experience to the studio next time [if there is one] it could only help.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
REVO

Postby taoyoyo » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:14 pm

BlackPaperCrown wrote:Interestingly and conversely, I have no desire whatsoever to see Kraftwerk live. I am not exactly sure just how "live" they are when on stage anyway.

First and foremost, the band now comprises just one original member (Ralf, according to Wikipedia) so it is debatable just how truly "Kraftwerk" they are now. Do not worry, I am not going to labour this point because it is the case for so many bands that are still, thankfully, going 30 to 40 years on - OMD being one of them!

However, one other problem I have is that Kraftwerk have not released any new music since 2003. Maybe they have hit a bit of a dry spell.

My biggest beef with Kraftwerk live is that you are apparently handed a pair of 3D glasses and expected to watch a bl**dy video for 90 minutes while the band blip and blurp along as a soundtrack. That is not my idea of fun.

And I have had my chance to see them too. I was at T In The Park in 2013 when they headlined the King Tut's tent. I stayed for the prior superb show by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (their last UK show before their present hiatus) and then left before Kraftwerk came on, thus beating the traffic jams out of the festival site and not having to watch a quartet of blokes standing there seemingly not doing very much at all.

In my opinion, if you missed out on a ticket to see Kraftwerk at the RAH, then you have saved a bag full of money and have the freedom to go to a decent gig that night instead.

Although I agree that it would be nice to see some new Kraftwerk material, I'd say that you're missing the point of the live Kraftwerk experience (or more likely that it is just not for you).

We saw them a couple of weeks ago in Atlanta and were blown away.
taoyoyo
Major contributor

Postby REVO » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:13 pm

To anyone who has not seen Kraftwerk before, and the opportunity presents itself; by all means go. After 20-ish years of no shows, now we have regular touring. Act now. Supplies are limited. I count myself lucky to have seen their 1st Moogfest set, since they blew out the soundboard! It stopped at that point and I actually saw Kraftwerk break down onstage. It was actually exhilarating. After 2-3 minutes a member came out and apologized for the delay, but I left for another show at soon afterward. I think they eventually got going again.
REVO

Postby Mark C » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:20 pm

I took your advice Revo and tried again for the 3rd RAH date that was announced and I managed to get tickets this time! Very happy indeed. Area V row 7 of the Circle so still pretty central and quite low down in the tier too. Friday night as well!!

That'll be Dad's Christmas present taken care of then :-)
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby REVO » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:25 pm

If you've not seen Kraftwerk before, you will be moved. How lucky for you and your father.
REVO

Postby Lee D » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Mark, That is great news. Well done. Its probably better to be further back to get the full effect.
Lee D

Postby Mark C » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:34 pm

Cheers Lee. I think you're right. It's a little to the left (and up a tier) to where we sat for OMD and that view was fantastic, I'm so pleased!!
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby martyn » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Mark, got you got your tickets

I didn't realise this tour was on, so missed the orginal ticket sale

Then found out about the extra date at RAH, so at 9am Friday on Ticket master wesbite, selected ticket, but came back as All sold!

At 10am on RAH website, 600 something in queue. After 15 mins got to front of queue and there seemd to be varied selection of seats available - so now got a seat in the stalls for Friday 23rd

Martyn
martyn

Next

Return to Open Discussion