Kraftwerk 2016

Open discussion and debate about non-OMD topics including news, film & TV, music, sport etc.

Moderator: OMD Official

Re: Kraftwerk 2016

Postby Mark C » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:23 pm

Nice one Martyn, hopefully see you there!
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby Monza » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:33 pm

BlackPaperCrown wrote:Interestingly and conversely, I have no desire whatsoever to see Kraftwerk live. I am not exactly sure just how "live" they are when on stage anyway.

First and foremost, the band now comprises just one original member (Ralf, according to Wikipedia) so it is debatable just how truly "Kraftwerk" they are now. Do not worry, I am not going to labour this point because it is the case for so many bands that are still, thankfully, going 30 to 40 years on - OMD being one of them!

However, one other problem I have is that Kraftwerk have not released any new music since 2003. Maybe they have hit a bit of a dry spell.

My biggest beef with Kraftwerk live is that you are apparently handed a pair of 3D glasses and expected to watch a bl**dy video for 90 minutes while the band blip and blurp along as a soundtrack. That is not my idea of fun.

And I have had my chance to see them too. I was at T In The Park in 2013 when they headlined the King Tut's tent. I stayed for the prior superb show by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (their last UK show before their present hiatus) and then left before Kraftwerk came on, thus beating the traffic jams out of the festival site and not having to watch a quartet of blokes standing there seemingly not doing very much at all.

In my opinion, if you missed out on a ticket to see Kraftwerk at the RAH, then you have saved a bag full of money and have the freedom to go to a decent gig that night instead.

I've seen Kraftwerk live on many occasions (the most recent being a few days ago at the Guggenheim in Bilbao) and I have to say that, from my perspective, the music certainly is live. I was in the front row at the Guggenheim and they were definitely playing live. This is also apparent if you've seen them more than once because then you can hear the different arrangements each time. There's a lot more improvisation there than many people would imagine. I've never heard Autobahn played the same way twice and, of course, there's the bit at the end of Music Non Stop (played as the final encore) where each member does their little virtuoso bit before leaving the stage one by one.

The 3D show really is spectacular. It's far more than just watching a video on a screen behind them. Some of the visual effects are breathtaking (satellites seemingly flying out over the crowd during Spacelab, for example) and complement the music perfectly.

It's a shame you chose not to watch them at T In The Park. It's your decision, of course, and people have different tastes but if you ever get the opportunity to see them again, I would take it. I think you might be pleasantly surprised! :-)
Monza

Postby Lee D » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:50 pm

Is the 3D show now for the complete set. Or is it still the 2nd half?

When I saw Kraftwerk at The Manchester Velodrome some years ago, the 3D show was the 2nd part of the show.
Lee D

Previous

Return to Open Discussion