Which bands have you bought tickets to see in 2018?

Open discussion and debate about non-OMD topics including news, film & TV, music, sport etc.

Moderator: OMD Official

Re: Which bands have you bought tickets to see in 2018?

Postby kopite » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 am

Done:-
Sinestar (10th Feb – The Tunnels, Bristol)

Still to come:-
Editors (4th Mar – Town Hall, Birmingham)
Editors (5th Mar – Cathedral, Manchester)
Covenant / Empathy Test (9th Mar – Ruby Lounge, Manchester)
Covenant / Empathy Test (10th Mar – Ivory Blacks, Glasgow)
Mesh (25th Aug – Infest, Bradford)
Mesh (26th Aug – Watchet Festival, Taunton)
Mesh (15th Sep – Kult Tempel, Oberhausen)
Mesh (22nd Sep – Columbia Theatre, Berlin)
OMD (6th Oct – Philharmonic, Liverpool)
OMD (7th Oct – Philharmonic, Liverpool)
Empire 05/83, Royal Court 09/83, Empire 05/84, Empire 09/84, W'ton Spec Arena 06/85, Empire 02/86, Empire 11/86, Empire 07/91, Royal Court 07/93, Empire 05/07, Aintree 07/07, L'pool Arena 10/08, Royal Phil 06/09, FACT 11/09, L'pool Arena 11/10, Eric's 09/11, Empire 05/13, MoL x2 11/14
kopite

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:43 am

All this snow is ideal for me to plan my gigs
Nik Kershaw, Go West and the truly brilliant Cutting Crew (10th March at the Theatre Royal, Glasgow) a nice 80s fest
Delta Rae (11th March at King Tut's, Glasgow) doing a very rare C2C aftershow. A 10pm start and it is a school night
Emma Stevens (12th March at Oran Mor, Glasgow) she is supporting Sarah Darling but I am going to see Emma
The Pearl Harts (17th March at The Attic, Glasgow) an experiment
Jessie Ware (20th March at The Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow) another experiment
Love Sick (3rd April at Nice 'N' Sleazy, Glasgow) yet another experiment but a free entry gig. Does that count as having a ticket?
Joana Serrat (5th April at The Hug And Pint, Glasgow) a fellow gig goer recommended her. I was doing nothing that evening so why not, but her name is misspelled on the ticket. Duh them
Sound Of The Sirens (9th April at Sneaky Pete's, Edinburgh) I saw them last time in Newcastle
Coasts (18th April at Riverside, Newcastle) That is mid week and I struggle to go to Newcastle when working. I will try
Coasts (19th April at SWG3, Glasgow) That is closer to home. They are a very good live band
We Are Not DEVO (21st April at The Cluny, Newcastle) I might not make it to the Glasgow gig on 24th March. This is my back-up plan
Midas Fall (10th May at Bannermans, Edinburgh) I do like their dream-pop style. I first saw them 8 years ago
The Ninth Wave (11th May at Church, Dundee) they are the next band to break through to success
Steve Rothery (14th May at Oran Mor, Glasgow) Yes it is prog rock nonsense but is so much fun to hear. The support band is Ranestrane who are an Italian prog rock band. I do not understand a word they say but it is great music
Ian McNabb (18th and 19th May, Admiral Bar, Glasgow) two nights, 50 songs. What is not to like?
Dream Wife and Nadine Shah (25th May, Leith Theatre, Edinburgh) as part of the Hidden Doors festival
The Hunna (26th May, O2 ABC Glasgow) a good band
That is 15 gigs listed already. Are you still awake?
The Filthy Tongues (1st June, St Luke's Glasgow) ex Goodbye Mr Mackenzie, if you remember them? They morphed into Angelfish who contained a certain keyboard player called Shirley Manson. Do you recognise her name ... see below
The Maine (6th June, Dingwalls, London) such a great band. Really talented with superb songs
The Vapours (1st July, The Bungalow, Paisley) a first time see for me
Emily Maguire (20th July, The Glad Cafe, Glasgow) I do like her style
ACTORS (25th July, University, Bradford) as part of the INFEST festival. It is an Electronic festival which is not wholly my scene but I have battered on about ACTORS for years now and finally have the chance to see this Canadian band live
PiL (31st August, Church, Dundee) yes, this legendary band in alanconnorland. A first time see for me
Garbage supported by Honeyblood (4th September, Festival Theatre, Edinburgh) another first time see. No, not Honeyblood. I have seen them 13 times before
The The (5th September, Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow) Matt has been announcing more dates. Funnily enough, they all sold out within seconds too
Garbage supported by Dream Wife (15th September, O2 Academy Brixton, London) Garbage are doing all of V2.0 at this gig. It is a good album. And, Dream Wife are amazing live
Ian McNabb (28th and 29th September, Backstage at Green Hotel, Kinross) his annual residency doing two nights, 50 songs. But I plan to forgo the second night for this ...
Fossil Fools (29th September, The Hope And Anchor, London) the premier XTC tribute band playing this legendary venue. I cannot miss this chance
Katee Kross (13th October, Nice 'N' Sleazy, Glasgow) this is her album launch gig; her 3rd album; she is only 21
The Proclaimers (18th November, City Hall, Newcastle) all the Scottish dates sold out like that (fingerclick)

And last but by no means least
OMD (6th and 7th October) at Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool). I am going with Dee on both nights. We in row B both nights and this is better than some of the VIPs. I tell you, paying £45 for the priority booking was the best money ever spent

Yes, we have had a lot of snow up here ...
Time flies but I am not yet old
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:16 am

And now Gary is at it too. Nice!
Gary Numan (20th November at the Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow) with full orchestra. I wonder what Are Friends Electric? will sound like fully orchestrated, live
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Mon May 28, 2018 2:51 pm

Seeing as it is very quiet over here and it is a UK Bank Holiday today and I work for a bank so I am on holiday ...
100 Fables (31 May at Broadcast, Glasgow) They are so good live. What an energetic show
KITTEN (9 June at House Of Blues, Anaheim) It's KITTEN for goodness sake!
KITTEN (10 June at House Of Blues, San Diego) It's KITTEN for goodness sake!
KITTEN (11 June at Lodge Room, Los Angeles) It's KITTEN for goodness sake!
Sara 'N' Junbug (29 June at Oran Mor, Glasgow) I liked them the first time I saw them by accident. I wonder if they are still good
The Hunna (15 July at ABC, Glasgow) postponed from 26th May because it was in the middle of exam time for their audience. Jee-zus!
Sahara (27 July at Sneaky Pete's, Edinburgh) An up and coming Dundee band
Lucia (27 July at King Tut's Wah Wah Hut, Glasgow) Hmm, two gigs in one night?
False Friends (28 July at King Tut's Wah Wah Hut, Glasgow) I love this band
Candythief (29 July at Sneaky Pete's, Edinburgh) An odd support slot here for Diana De Cabarrus. Hmm
OMD (3 August at Kelvingrove Bandstand, Glasgow) Ticket finally secured
The Jesus And Mary Chain (14 August at Leith Theatre, Edinburgh) A first time see. Honeyblood are supporting
The The (3 September at Reds Bar, Newcastle) I forgot I have a ticket for this!
My Life Story (15 September at ABC, Glasgow) I am so glad they are still going
Fish (22 September at Queen's Hall, Edinburgh) I wonder when he will play his final final tour?
Sea Girls (5 October at King Tut's Wah Wah Hut, Glasgow) What a great live band
We Are Not Devo (12 October at The Hug And Pint, Glasgow) I have still not seen them live. My last two attempts were thwarted by gig clashes
Coasts (21 October at St Luke's, Glasgow)
Nerina Pallot (26 October at Cluny, Newcastle) A solo tour - just her and her piano and guitar
Katrina Leskanich (9 November at The Half Moon, London) she is amazing live
Holy Moly & The Crackers (15 November at Voodoo Rooms, Edinburgh) A superb live band
Holy Moly & The Crackers (16 November at King Tut's Wah Wah Hut, Glasgow) see above
Heaven 17 (23 November at ABC, Glasgow) Playing the whole of The Luxury Gap - hmm, again!
Holy Moly & The Crackers (30 November at Riverside, Newcastle) just because, okay?
Harriet (4 December at Oran Mor, Glasgow) She finally plays in Scotland
The Human League (8 December at Apollo, London) I & Alexa are going to this. A first time see for me (hmm, I have seen Alexa before!)
Fish (13 December at O2 Academy, Glasgow) Hmm, why not?
That is enough "hmm"s for now
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:12 pm

I hope you all enjoyed Andy's book launch in Manchester. Here are some more gigs
Sara 'N' Junbug (14 November at The Hug And Pint, Glasgow)
The Eastern Swell (album launch) (15 November at VOODOO ROOMS, EDINBURGH)
Nothing But Thieves (21 November at BARROWLANDS, GLASGOW)
Hazel O'Connor (22 November at PLEASANCE, EDINBURGH)
Love Sick (27 November at SWG3, GLASGOW)
Bill Nelson (1 December at Clothworkers Hall, Leeds)
Still Corners (2 December at Broadcast, Glasgow)
Harriet (4 December at ORAN MOR, GLASGOW)
Manoeuvres (7 December at Fibbers, York)
Nerina Pallot (9 December at Blues Kitchen, London)
Cloves (12 December at KING TUT'S WAH HUT, GLASGOW)
Fish (13 December at O2 ACADEMY, GLASGOW)
Glasvegas (14 December at BARROWLANDS, GLASGOW)
Calva Louise (15 December at St Luke's, GLASGOW)
Sheppard (16 December at O2 Academy, London)
The Ninth Wave (21 December at St Luke's, GLASGOW)
The Skids (28 December at Church, DUNDEE)
Nice
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:01 pm

Come on, it is now a tradition for me to summarise my year of gig going. 2018 saw me pip the 2016 total by just one gig.

Number of gigs 243, seeing 613 performances

Great acts I saw multiple times
Freakwave (11)
100 Fables (10)
CRYSTAL (9)
Stone Ivy (6)
Annie Booth (5)
Betty And The Bass (5)
Dancing On Tables (5)
Nerina Pallot (5)

Popular venues for gigs
67 bands across 24 gigs at Broadcast in Glasgow
56 bands across 21 gigs at King Tut's Wah Wah Hut in Glasgow
46 bands across 17 gigs at Sneaky Pete's in Edinburgh
37 bands across 14 gigs at The Hug And Pint in Glasgow

I once again saw OMD four times this year, however, the two RLPO gigs were not the best of the year (just second best). That accolade goes to …
Gary Numan & the Skaparis Orchestra a truly spectacular show

And the biggest disappointments? Goodness me, do not believe the hype!
Chicago
Garbage
Phoebe Bridgers
Snail Mail

How many bands or artists did I meet afterwards?
128 (grabbing every chance I could to thank them for their gigs)

Some first time ever sees (after knowing about them for some or for many years)
ACTORS I have raved about them for a while now and finally saw them in Leeds. Such nice people who put on a storming set which instantly wowed a sceptical crowd
Bonnie Tyler She still has that voice
Cheap Trick Entertaining if not taken too seriously
Chicago see above
Clan of Xymox Godfathers of Goth
Delta Rae Very entertaining
Foreigner okay, no original members left but still a great live band
Glasvegas I saw them twice this year and have still to see a full gig by them. They are not my scene (sorry Lori)
Katrina Leskanich a full band solo show. Amazing
Latin Quarter they are okay
Paul Draper from Mansun
PIL Chalked off my list but I do not need to see them again
Propoganda Not my scene. They supported Heaven 17
REO Speedwagon Another still astounding 70s band
The Human League really good live
The Jesus And Mary Chain Again, what is the fuss all about?
The Vapors they are so good live
Therapy? They supported The Stranglers. They are not my scene

Some great new (or newly discovered by me) acts
Freakwave
CRYSTAL

Once again a big thank you to all the great bands, talented artists and the new live acts that continue to play to gigs in a declining market. I love going to gigs
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Previous

Return to Open Discussion