i am currently listening to...

Open discussion and debate about non-OMD topics including news, film & TV, music, sport etc.

Moderator: OMD Official

Re: i am currently listening to...

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:01 pm

amhilde wrote:Keep Shelley in Athens
Wow, what a recommendation, thank you. They have that wonderful Still Corners vibe to them and I feel some purchases coming on. My shoes have never been so gazed. Nice ...
Time flies but I am not yet old
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby Miochoco » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:29 pm

Hooverphonic - Badaboum

https://youtu.be/EhNYwT3iL8Q
Miochoco

Postby Mr.W » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:42 pm

The Rockets "Kaos"
Tam Harrow "Incredible Idiot"
Jean-Michel Jarre "Electronica 1"
OMD "Dazzle Ships at the Liverpool Museum"
I Loved You When I Found You, I Loved You Like A Son
Mr.W

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:32 pm

A veritable feast of Icehouse 12 inch mixes.

They recently released two volumes of a double CD set called (inventively enough) 12 Inch Versions & Remixes Volumes 1 & 2, but they are crammed so full that you actual have over 5 hours of Icehouse brilliance. Okay, some mixes do tend out stay their welcome a bit, but when you suddenly hear Cross The Border, No Promises, the astounding Nothing Too Serious and the fantastic Shakin' The Cage you cannot help to listen the whole way through. Iva Davis has such an great ear for a catchy tune.

Interestingly, quite a few folk had a bl**dy good moan in their Amazon reviews that some of the tracks are vinyl rips. That causes me a dilemma because, according to vinyl-philes, vinyl is the best quality ever in the whole wide world. So can anyone explain to me why vinyl rips are therefore bad? Also, if the original master tapes are lost surely any format of the song is precious? Besides, once you squish the tracks down to MP3 to put them onto a portable listening format, whether it was sourced from vinyl or tape makes zip of a difference. I did not notice any clicks and pops ...
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby amhilde » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Underworld - Barbara, Barbara We Face a Shining Future - whole album turned out to be very good, especially loving Low Burn and I Exhale, although Motorhome is also quite good. Also listening the first Freur album, and finding one or two of the songs to be oddly OMD-esque ("Matters of the Heart" in particular). So much so I texted the Swede whilst listening at work the other day about it and he'd had the same conclusion.

PSB - Inner Sanctum and Pop Kids are in rotation, can't wait for the new album
"Alan Wilder isn't a saint, he's a god. Big difference"

ALAN!
[karl!]
amhilde

Postby amhilde » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:30 pm

Icebreaker International - Trein Maersk: Concept album from 2000 with strong Kraftwerkian echos -

"Continuing their alliance with NATOarts — an organization that "seeks to promote global security and stability through the exhibition of works of conceptual art" — the duo boarded a container ship named Trein Maersk in early 2000, spending two months on the ship during its journey from Japan to Canada recording an audio document promoting free international trade. With the help of portable digital audio equipment, Break and Perls were able to make their report possible. Released just over half a year after their return to terra firma, Trein Maersk: A Report to the NATOarts Board of Directors made their extensive report public.

Matthew Bourne - "Moogmemory" - Album entirely composed only on a single memorymoog that must have been entirely overhauled. Saw his show last night and the beast was up on stage (part of the visuals were the emails he had sent back and forth with the tech as to how destroyed the internal circuitry was). Good idea in concept and album tunes are good independently, but an hour of it got to be a bit much - needed a little 4/4 beat under it all.

ALAN!
[karl!]
amhilde

Postby Miochoco » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:51 pm

I'm listening to the album of PSB "Super"
Ok --> The album only comes out April 1st --> "He leaked" :-P

So I do not know if it's my mind but I am disappointed... I do not recognize myself in it.
It's really weird, it does not sound as PSB ... I think it ' is just me, I'm not well for all that at the moment.

Mio.
Miochoco

Postby REVO » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:31 pm

amhilde wrote:…Also listening the first Freur album, and finding one or two of the songs to be oddly OMD-esque ("Matters of the Heart" in particular).

Oh, how I love the "Doot Doot" album. I still love it better than anything else Rick and Karl have ever done. If that was all they achieved they would still be titans in my world.

What am I listening to now?
That. Still. I think it sits with "stationtostation" and "Low" as a very crucial Bowie album. It's all adventure without an ounce of fat on it.
Last edited by REVO on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
REVO

Postby amhilde » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:35 pm

Revo - concur with you on Blackstar - adore that album, despite all the mysticism within/out it. You should really give the new Underworld a spin, some good stuff on there.

Tonight we've got Black Devil Disco Club playing - H Friend is a bit of a revelation! Love me some good disco, but we had to check when the album was actually produced because it does sound fresher than the 1978 year suggests (and this is a rip from the original vinyl not the 2004 reissue).

Next up after this: One Dove

ALAN!
[karl!]
amhilde

Postby amhilde » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:26 pm

Pet Shop Boys - Super

Ho man, this ended up being a mixed bag. Only had a first listen on the train this morning, which meant half the album, but I couldn't find it in me to listen to the other half going home. :/ Twenty Something and Dictator Decides are typical PSB lyrics and observations, but the songs feel unfinished and underproduced. Pazzo! and the 15 seconds I spent on Burn (after text consultation with Swede) almost put me into a permanent cringe.

May need some time with this one...

ALAN!
[karl!]
amhilde

Postby amhilde » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:28 pm

And one more, from the Japanese release of Underworld's BBWFASF -

Twenty Three Blue

The deepest, dirtiest, wubbiest electronic track I've heard in years. Good god is this good, why it is only a Japanese bonus track ill never understand. This is the sound Martin Gore/Ben Hillier/DM have been trying to produce for the last 8 years.

ALAN!
[karl!]
amhilde

Postby REVO » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:49 pm

BlackPaperCrown wrote:A veritable feast of Icehouse 12 inch mixes.

They recently released two volumes of a double CD set called (inventively enough) 12 Inch Versions & Remixes Volumes 1 & 2, but they are crammed so full that you actual have over 5 hours of Icehouse brilliance. Okay, some mixes do tend out stay their welcome a bit, but when you suddenly hear Cross The Border, No Promises, the astounding Nothing Too Serious and the fantastic Shakin' The Cage you cannot help to listen the whole way through. Iva Davis has such an great ear for a catchy tune.

Interestingly, quite a few folk had a bl**dy good moan in their Amazon reviews that some of the tracks are vinyl rips. That causes me a dilemma because, according to vinyl-philes, vinyl is the best quality ever in the whole wide world. So can anyone explain to me why vinyl rips are therefore bad? Also, if the original master tapes are lost surely any format of the song is precious? Besides, once you squish the tracks down to MP3 to put them onto a portable listening format, whether it was sourced from vinyl or tape makes zip of a difference. I did not notice any clicks and pops ...

Icehouse were a great band. [with the exception of "Code Blue"] How I wish they would do something more but their last album was a pretty amazing reggae album that was the last thing I would have expected from them! But lots of fun. https://postpunkmonk.wordpress.com/2014 ... ouse-live/

As for vinyl rips, they beat the alternative when the master tape is unavailable - nothing! I do a lot of remastering from vinyl. I would never moan about buying a pressed CD that was sourced from vinyl. It can be done rather well. But I take umbrage at the notion of vinyl sounding better than a CD. It should only be used when master tapes cannot be found. Which is sadly more common than ever these days, in spite of the almost total consolidation of the music industry into 2-3 major players. I was talking to a producer I know on this topic recently and his tales set my hair on fire.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
REVO

Postby Mark C » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:14 pm

Docks by Amanda Bergman. Just beautiful!
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:35 am

amhilde wrote:Underworld - Barbara, Barbara We Face a Shining Future
I did not expect Joe Jackson to be a fan, but he is. Read his assessment here
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby amhilde » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:42 pm