c90 tapes.

An open forum for technical help with computers, CD players, DVD issues etc.

Moderator: OMD Official

c90 tapes.

Postby colcol » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:46 pm

i have a box of various omd gigs and virgin promo tapes, i would like to get them onto the pc so i can convert them to mp3 and then "sync" to my usb sticks and also rip to cdr, what do i need to do this...

thanks...
colcol
Major contributor

Re: c90 tapes.

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:10 pm

The way I have done this before is -
1 - Find a laptop/computer that has a Line In 3.5mm stereo jack socket. Most have at least a headphone socket and a microphone socket but few have a Line In socket too
2 - ensure you have a good hi fi tape deck with a headphone output socket
3 - buy a lead that takes the headphone socket to your laptop input
4 - install Audacity software onto the laptop
5 - play about with its recording inputs and such like until you have a sound that records well and plays back okay
6 - disable any screen saving settings you have on the laptop so it can focus on the job
7 - clean your tape head and record one side of the tape and then save the music file to MP3 (I think it is "exported" that format)
8 - clean your tape head and record the other side as above
9 - find some MP3 chopping up software. I use MP3 Butcher but there are many out there. You may well have to pay for it. It is a worthy investment
10 - top & tail each MP3 separately, and also chop into tracks if you wish, and name them properly

This process takes ages. At least twice as long as each tape runs for. It is best done when you are on holiday in the house doing other things and can go back every 45 minutes or so to swap the tapes over.

Failing that, send the tapes to me and I will do it for a small fee. I do not promise a fast turn around though
Time flies but I am not yet old
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Re: c90 tapes.

Postby Lee D » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:17 pm

I once had some software that did something very similar to what BPC suggests. This had the benefit of taking some of the hiss out and cleaning the sound up, but I couldn't be bothered with all that. You needed a degree in mastering to understand what to do. It did split the tracks up for you though. I think it was called Magix Audio Cleaning Lab
Lee D

Return to Technical Help