Meols Park

Open discussion and debate about non-OMD topics including news, film & TV, music, sport etc.

Moderator: OMD Official

Meols Park

Postby Andy McCluskey » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:38 am

I was back in my old park on Saturday.

How different it looks! The Friends of Meols Park have done a fantastic job of raising money to transform a tired and neglected old public space into a great new magnet for the local kids.

Many memories for me. Including Paul seeing me in the park with my new bass guitar and asking me to join his friend's band.

If any of you live locally.. check it out
Last edited by Andy McCluskey on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy McCluskey
Special Guest

Postby nigel2568 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:45 am

Cheers Andy, will go and have a look.
I quite often go for a drive that way with my son, though never actually been to the park yet.
nigel2568

Postby Dresden » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:00 am

I agree Andy, the Friends of Meols Park have done a great job turning an eyesore into a great park. It's part of the Mockbeggar Trail and so is on the Wirral Coastal Walk route which brings in tourism.

Dresden
Major contributor

Postby Dresden » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:18 am

Not only does the park have a site..

...but a track...by China Crisis!!

http://friendsofmeolspark.co.uk/
Dresden
Major contributor

Postby RobB » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:54 am

Looks really nice judging by the photo but how long will it stay looking that way after the local yobs have smashed it up?

Near us we had a great play area for the kids but in the end it got vandalised so often that the local parish council simply removed it in the end.
RobB

Postby corky100 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:26 pm

China Crisis played a gig earlier this year in support of Meols Park (and a good gig it was too) in Hoylake. Looks like the money was put to good use!

They are back there December 13 too. See the Meols Park website for details and buy a ticket.
corky100

Postby PAUL TARR » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:58 pm

corky100 wrote:China Crisis played a gig earlier this year in support of Meols Park (and a good gig it was too) in Hoylake. Looks like the money was put to good use!

They are back there December 13 too. See the Meols Park website for details and buy a ticket.

This is very true , I shall hopefully be attending this for a little bit of light entertainment by Gary and Eddie.
PAUL TARR

Postby Andy McCluskey » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:35 pm

Does anyone have a copy of the Oxford Road Show TV show which features interviews in Meols Park as well as the Sheffield gig? I promised Roy from the 'friends ' that I'd dig it out but can't find my old VHS copy.
Andy McCluskey
Special Guest

Postby FAC6 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Andy McCluskey wrote:Does anyone have a copy of the Oxford Road Show TV show which features interviews in Meols Park as well as the Sheffield gig? I promised Roy from the 'friends ' that I'd dig it out but can't find my old VHS copy.

I think I do, even in DVD. But I'm not sure if it's complete.
Maniobras Orquestales en la Oscuridad
FAC6

Postby PAUL TARR » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:58 pm

I think I might have a copy lurking somewhere on VHS but I am not sure its complete. Its part of a big compendium of tv appearances that I have. I will try and check tonight if it is complete and if it is , I'll pm you Mr.M.
PAUL TARR

Postby RobertR » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:24 pm

Andy McCluskey wrote:Does anyone have a copy of the Oxford Road Show TV show which features interviews in Meols Park as well as the Sheffield gig? I promised Roy from the 'friends ' that I'd dig it out but can't find my old VHS copy.

Sent you pm.
RobertR
Major contributor

Postby Dresden » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:55 pm

I see that the 'Friends...' site has updated its news with a link to this thread.

Can I ask Andy if you are taking more of an interest? ie maybe a Patron?

I've always thought that OMD members should take more of an active roll in local interests on the Wirral (time permitting) 8)
Dresden
Major contributor

Re: Meols Park

Postby EricK » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:10 pm

Andy McCluskey wrote:Many memories for me. Including Paul seeing me in the park with my new bass guitar and asking me to join his friend's band.

If any of you live locally.. check it out

There should be a plaque erected in that spot. 8)

I fully intend to go to Birkenhead on my next visit to Liverpool and take an afternoon to walk around. This will definitely be on my itinerary along with Birkenhead Park.
EricK

Postby Mister Reality » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:34 pm

I know this is an old thread but this article may be of interest...

LINK>>>£40,000 bid to erect Viking statue in Meols Park<<<
Mister Reality

Postby rockgirl416 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:16 pm

That sounds pretty cool, I hope they get it to happen. :D
rockgirl416
Major contributor

Next

Return to Open Discussion