JUNK CULTURE deluxe

General talk about OMD

Moderator: OMD Official

JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby dazzler » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:02 pm

Hope is rising again, now that OMD has a new record deal with BMG.
I once posted my desires about an expanded re-issue of Junk Culture,
Crush and The Pacific Age on this forum. Time for an update.

This is the way I would rerelease JUNK CULTURE (1984)
Feel free to post your comments or your own tracklist of choice.

DISC 1

01. Junk Culture
02. Tesla Girls
03. Locomotion
04. Apollo
05. Never Turn Away
06. Love and Violence
07. Hard Day
08. All Wrapped Up
09. White Trash
10. Talking Loud and Clear

bonus tracks
11. The Avenue
12. Her Body in My Soul
13. Garden City
14. Julia's Song (extended)
15. Wrappup
16. (Angels Keep Turning) the Wheels of the Universe

Don't know if unreleased outtakes exist to include on the first disc.

DISC 2

OMD live: London Hammerschmidt Odeon 3rd of june 1984

01. Junk Culture (live)
02. Tesla Girls (live)
03. Messages (live)
04. Love and Violence (live)
05. Julia's Song (live)
06. Motion and Heart (live)
07. White Trash (live)
08. Apollo (live)
09. Never Turn Away (live)
10. Joan of Arc (live)
11. Maid of Orleans (live)
12. Talking Loud and Clear (live)
13. Hard Day (live)
14. Souvenir (live)
15. Telegraph (live)
16. Bunker Soldiers (live)
17. Enola Gay (live)
18. Locomotion (live)
19. She's Leaving (live)
20. Electricity (live)
21. Waiting for the Man (live)
22. Locomotion (live)

I would save the 12" versions of the singles for the 2nd disc of The Pacific Age.
Last edited by dazzler on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
We’re just waiting looking skyward as the days come down.
Someone promised there’d be answers, if we stayed around.
dazzler
Major contributor

Re: JUNK CULTURE deluxe

Postby PaulB » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:14 pm

I suspect an early version of Heaven Is could be included in there somewhere as well.
PaulB
Major contributor

Postby Mark C » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:28 pm

That would be great! The live version from Liverpool Royal Court in 83 is fun!
www.omd-live.com
Mark C
Major contributor

Postby PaulB » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:00 pm

I still bitterly regret not seeing any of the dates on the autumn 83 tour. That was one of the few times you could see OMD test out potential songs on a live audience.
PaulB
Major contributor

Postby mellotron400 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:28 am

did'nt the original version of heaven is have a reggae feel to it?, i remember seeing somewhere, would be interesting to hear this version
'subtlety is the art of not coming to the point'
'You'll never see a church with free wi-fi, because they don't want to compete with an invisible power that actually works.'
mellotron400

Postby Chupacabras » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:59 pm

The early version of 'Heaven Is' that I heard didn't sound anything like reggae... it undoubtedly featured what I'd call some "frantic drum machine action", though! :D

Here comes a love song...
...there goes the banister!
Chupacabras

Postby Poyns » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:08 pm

The picture disc version of "Never Turn Away" was exclusive to that disc, I have heard. Does anyone have this and can confirm?
Poyns

Postby PaulB » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:11 pm

This is true. The pic disc release of Never Turn Away is slightly longer and doesn't have the fade-out used on the standard 7" version. Some copies had the A and B sides mixed up as well.
PaulB
Major contributor

Postby Poyns » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:37 pm

Thank you, PaulB. Now the search for this new (to me) version starts. :-)
Poyns

Postby dazzler » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:01 am

What if we pushed this topic up again?
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby Gazza » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:21 pm

If there was to be a live set from this tour you must include the Graham and Neil brassed up version of Pretending To See The Future which they did during this tour.
I'd write and tell you that I've burnt them all.

But you never send me your address and I've.

I've kept them anyway.
Gazza

Postby dazzler » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:09 am

Any news about a Junk Culture remaster with bonus material yet?

I spot expanded editions and deluxe versions of so many bands of the 60s, 70s and 80s
that I just can't believe no label would be interested to do the remaining OMD albums.

There were rumours earlier this years that Andy was talking to Universal about a re-release.
And it would be nice if the band had a serious input to make sure the release has good quality.
Maybe they could slip in a few unreleased songs or early demo's.

But will it be a single disc release?
Adding all b-sides, extended versions and some unreleased material would be impossible.
Then it should be a two disc release like Duran Duran, Ultravox en Spandau Ballet did a few years ago.

Two discs makes room to add some video material as well: clips, TV performances etc...

I would be happy with a single disc release, making sure it would contain all the b-sides.
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby taoyoyo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:17 am

Dazzler, I think your original track listing was pretty spot on.

All the other remasters so far have been single disk releases, not sure if any potential remaster should be a double.

I'd personally like the extended version of 'Never Turn Away' on there or some demoes/unreleased versions if there were any.

I would certainly buy a remastered JC (and 'Crush', probably not 'TPA' though).
taoyoyo
Major contributor

Postby BlackPaperCrown » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:05 am

taoyoyo wrote:All the other remasters so far have been single disk releases, not sure if any potential remaster should be a double.
There seems to be the perception that remastering means “must add extra tracks that were not on the original album” which it is not. Remastering is all about making it sound better, using techniques that were not available at the time and taking full advantage of the dynamic range of the CD.

However, it does make commercial sense to add more tracks to make the re-issue more attractive to the audiences who have already bought the album, sometimes multiple times.

The vast majority of the proposed extra tracks generally have no place on the original album for good reason - they were not part of the vinyl album concept. They were rejected due to the vinyl playing time restrictions. With CDs having an 80 minute limit per disc, you have much more space and so can make the most of it, loading it up with extra tracks.

What is really nice is when bands rethink the running order of the album, given the larger available space and make it flow better with more tracks interspersed. I wonder if that is a possibility for Junk Culture. What would your rearranged running order be?

As for the bonus tracks and b-sides, it is still surprising cheap to press a CD so making it two discs would actually be economic given you can charging a lot more because it is a super deluxe double disc set. It depends on how many they would actually sell. At this rate, there does seem to be the demand for it.

These re-issues need not stick to a single disk format, not least because the Architecture and Morality re-issue has already broken that trend due to the DVD being included. So, yes please, make it a double as long as the extra tracks on the disc are from the Junk Culture period and not shoe-horned in from another era to make up the numbers. As for a possible live album from 1983, I think that is best released on its own elsewhere.

taoyoyo wrote:I would certainly buy a remastered JC (and 'Crush', probably not 'TPA' though).
If they do plan a re-issue of The Pacific Age, I would most certainly buy it. I know I would not be the only one too
Time flies but I am not yet old
BlackPaperCrown
Major contributor

Postby taoyoyo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:32 pm

BPC... I know exactly what remastering is Sir... maybe I should have specifically used the term 'reissue' but the first four albums have all been reissued and remastered *with extra tracks that were not available on the original releases* so I assumed folk would get the gist of what I was referring to ;)

As for changing the running order... I'm sure there would be exceptions but I personally don't like it when artists do that (the one example that springs to mind here is Peter Gabriel's 'So' where 'In Your Eyes' was moved from track 5 to track 9 on the 2002 remaster... ruined the flow of the album completely for me).

If there is enough material for a 2CD then that's cool... it would be nice for the completist to have all those extended mixes on CD but other than 'NTA' and 'JS' they didn't really hit the mark for me ('Locomotion' is long enough as a single mix for me ;) ). Agree with you on the live concert not being included.

As for 'PTA', just implying personal taste with that one, not suggesting they shouldn't consider it. :)
taoyoyo
Major contributor

Next

Return to OMD General Discussion