China Crisis

Open discussion and debate about non-OMD topics including news, film & TV, music, sport etc.

Moderator: OMD Official

China Crisis

Postby SynchPedro86 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:06 pm

Wishful Thinking is a delightful, delightful song. :wink:

I tried listening to some of their other songs. Any recommendations?
SynchPedro86

Postby arclad » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:14 am

yes, "christian" and "working with fire and steel" for example. ;-)

next to "wishfull thinking" i like these most of all.
arclad

Postby Jimmy Messerschmitt » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:47 am

Start with the singles compilation "The Collection", preferably with the bonus B-sides disc and then buy ALL six albums.

China Crisis are the most under-rated band of the 80s!
www.myspace.com/messerschmitttwinsomd

"I don't like country & western, I don't like rock music.... I don't like rockabilly! I don't like much really do I? But what I do like, I love passionately!!"
Jimmy Messerschmitt
Major contributor

Postby TheAviator » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:43 am

As Jimmy said they are under rated, so start with The Collection.

My favourite album is Difficult Shapes & Passive Rhythms my fave track within being Red Sails. I have 12" singles of Wishful Thinking and King in a catholic Style.

latest on China Crisis http://www.chinacrisis.co.uk/
"People and things do not upset us. Rather, we upset ourselves by believing that they can upset us." (Albert Ellis, 1913-2007
TheAviator
Major contributor

Postby abc123 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:11 pm

TheAviator wrote:As Jimmy said they are under rated, so start with The Collection.

My favourite album is Difficult Shapes & Passive Rhythms my fave track within being Red Sails. I have 12" singles of Wishful Thinking and King in a catholic Style.

latest on China Crisis http://www.chinacrisis.co.uk/

12" of Wishful thinking is not remixed, is it? The B side, "This occupation" is a great track also, both the 7" and the 12" (got the 12" from the B-side collection)

Tragedy&Mystery, King in a Catholic style, Black Man Ray and Arizona sky are all worth a menthion.
I'm dancing like a windmill
In my own world, that's how i feel
And it goes round and round, round and round and around.

http://www.bonordin.se/
abc123
Major contributor

Postby Jimmy Messerschmitt » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:22 pm

The 12" of "Wishful Thinking" is the album version.

I love "Difficult Shapes & Passive Rhythms, Some People Think It's Fun To Entertain" but my fave album is "Working With Fire & Steel, Possible Pop Songs Volume 2"...it's a great balance between synths, guitars and woodwind instruments. It was their last 'english' sounding album before they turned into the UK version of STEELY DAN for "Flaunt The Imperfection" and beyond!

I also recommend the early B-sides like "Be Suspicious", "Greenacre Bay", "No Ordinary Lover", "A Golden Handshake For Every Daughter" and "Dockland" and their second (non-album) single "Scream Down At Me"

"I don't like country & western, I don't like rock music.... I don't like rockabilly! I don't like much really do I? But what I do like, I love passionately!!"
Jimmy Messerschmitt
Major contributor

Postby Donato » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:11 am

Jimmy Messerschmitt wrote:Start with the singles compilation "The Collection", preferably with the bonus B-sides disc and then buy ALL six albums.

China Crisis are the most under-rated band of the 80s!

Totally agree with that one Jimmy, and I to this very day view "Working With Fire and Steel" as one of the most sensational albums ever written. 2 very underrated songs from that album are the ballads "Here Comes a Raincloud" and "Soul Awakening"......both are quite lovely songs that capture the true essence of what CC were all about.
Donato

Postby dazzler » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:26 pm

Donato wrote: ... and I to this very day view "Working With Fire and Steel" as one of the most sensational albums ever written. 2 very underrated songs from that album are the ballads "Here Comes a Raincloud" and "Soul Awakening"......both are quite lovely songs that capture the true essence of what CC were all about.

I do agree about the WORKING WITH FIRE AND STEEL album.

In my opinion a collection of 10 possible singles ...

But I never really got into the debut album: too much a variety of styles and producers.

CHRISTIAN and SOME PEOPLE I KNOW TO LEAD FANTASTIC LIVES coming the closest to their later hit sound.

Does anybody know why the band recorded with so many different producers when recording their first album?

And it looks like the b-sides of the FIRE AND STEEL album are from those same early sessions (producer credits).

I always wondered what would be the story behind this ...

And what about FLAUNT THE IMPERFECTION: an album I rate very close to FIRE AND STEEL.

WHAT PRICE PARADISE was a bit disappointing: lacks the magical sparks of the previous albums.

Never listened to DIARY OF A HOLLOW HORSE.

Just like OMD a band from Liverpool with two main members and songwriters.

Just like OMD a band promoting the soft synth pop with that light melancholic touch.

Just like OMD a band with a collection of excellent, more experimental b-sides.

OMD: mellotron and sealand. / CHINA CRISIS: oboe and dockland.

Time to remastered, expand and rerelease the CHINA CRISIS backcatalogue.
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby Jimmy Messerschmitt » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:36 pm

dazzler wrote: Does anybody know why the band recorded with so many different producers when recording their first album?

And it looks like the b-sides of the FIRE AND STEEL album are from those same early sessions (producer credits).

I always wondered what would be the story behind this ...

Of course I do :lol: !

CHINA CRISIS were under pressure from Virgin in summer 1982 to get an album out to capitalise on their profile from "African & White" being reissued and supporting SIMPLE MINDS on their "New Gold Dream" tour.

They had problems getting on with Steve Levine who was the original producer. Peter Walsh who was effectively house producer at Virgin (he did SIMPLE MINDS and SCOTT WALKER's albums in 1982) was brought in to polish up their then potential hits "No More Blue Horizons" and"Christian". So the second half of the album is effectively demos produced at Amazon which was owned by Jeremy Lewis, who originally signed them to his Inevitable label. Producer Gil Norton was just starting out...later he produced THE PIXIES.

CHINA CRISIS usually did their B-sides at the demo stage of the album and their instrumentals were to 'relax them' prior to the main songwriting process. This would explain why the sessions were recorded at Amazon although the more observant will notice two of their best B-sides "Performing Seals" and "Forever I & I" were recorded on a portastudio in Eddie Lundon's bedroom!!!

Jimmy Messerschmitt
Major contributor

Postby dazzler » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:43 pm

Thanks Jimmy.

About another great b-side: This Occupation, produced by Jeremy Lewis.

Is it right to put this track back in time, alongside their first album "demo" tracks?
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby Jimmy Messerschmitt » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:51 pm

Most of the Jeremy Lewis sessions never made it to the first album. The best of which were the second non-album single "Scream Down At Me" b/w "Cucumber Garden".

The material from the first album sessions can be easily distinguished by original drummer Dave Reilly who had a sparse, more synchopated style compared with the late Kevin Wilkinson who was more of a conventional rock drummer and played on all the Virgin era albums from "Working With Fire & Steel onwards"

Jimmy Messerschmitt
Major contributor

Postby robert23 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:25 pm

One thing that has always bugged me is the chorus to african and white......It goes something like "life is a fever"....

Also anyone know what "hanna hanna" is about?
robert23

Postby dazzler » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:33 pm

robert23 wrote:One thing that has always bugged me is the chorus to african and white......It goes something like "life is a fever"....

Also anyone know what "hanna hanna" is about?

Right, and why are they more than often referring to religion?

Christian, King in a catholic style, "God only knows in the end" (Black Man Ray), Wall of God ...
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby JohnE » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:03 am

I just pulled out a couple of China Crisis CDs today to listen to again. Great, great stuff.
You can't break the pieces of a broken heart in two, so why do you? - Red Flag
JohnE

Postby Jimmy Messerschmitt » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:50 pm

robert23 wrote:One thing that has always bugged me is the chorus to african and white......It goes something like "life is a fever"....

The line is "Life is a favour of Israel".

It's referring to the Israeli Government's support of the racist Apartheid-era South African Government...the only nation to do so :?

Most of China Crisis' lyrics were about political injustice and the struggle of the working man.

Jimmy Messerschmitt
Major contributor

Next

Return to Open Discussion