Maid of Orleans intro

General talk about OMD

Moderator: OMD Official

Postby Andy McCluskey » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:40 pm

The intro was a problem for radio and we did do edited versions where it was shortened.

The idea came about because we actually had the song recorded but thought the track started oddly and needed something else to anounce it's arrival. At the time of A+M we were making a lot of music that was ambient soundscapes. The natural thing was to give the song an intro that set up the feel for the main themes to resolve out of the noises.

It's not meant to "mean" anything specific, just set up a feeling to let the track grow out of the strange noises. I think that it worked well!

BTW.. for the sound anoraks...most of the noises are melotron vocal sounds slowed down/sped up and greatly distorted simply by completely overdriving the old Helios desk in The Manor Studio. Pink noise and snare drum in lots of reverb.
Last edited by Andy McCluskey on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy McCluskey
Special Guest

Postby FAC6 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:45 pm

Gosh! The origin of one of the most hypnotic sections written by OMD explained at last!

That's a historical moment. :wink:

BTW, I always thought you recorded and altered the sound of your ZX Spectrum loading a game. :twisted:
.-. .- -.-. -....
FAC6

Postby robbo13 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:08 pm

Thanks very much for the replies everyone, especially Andy for the real thoughts behind the sounds! It certainly builds up the atmosphere for the song in my view. The youtube version from the Hammersmith gig gets played eveytime Im on my commy!! Class song & class memories of a brilliant night!!
robbo13

Postby abc123 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:33 pm

Andy McCluskey wrote:The intro was a problem for radio and we did do edited versions where it was shortened.

The idea came about because we actually had the song recorded but thought the track started oddly and needed something else to anounce it's arrival. At the time of A+M we were making a lot of music that was ambient soundscapes. The natural thing was to give the song an intro that set up the feel for the main themes to resolve out of the noises.

It's not meant to "mean" anything specific, just set up a feeling to let the track grow out of the strange noises. I think that it worked well!

BTW.. for the sound anoraks...most of the noises are melotron vocal sounds slowed down/sped up and greatly distorted simply by completely overdriving the old Helios desk in The Manor Studio. Pink noise and snare drum in lots of reverb.

Quite close to my explanation then :lol:
Seriously, I think the intro contradicts perfectly to the song. Also, I imagine EiVT-O could sound like a extended version of the MoO intro spiced up with noises from the TNSA intro and the Sealand metal hammering outro.
I'm dancing like a windmill
In my own world, that's how i feel
And it goes round and round, round and round and around.

http://www.bonordin.se/
abc123
Major contributor

Postby corky100 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:50 pm

I liked my idea better! :D

Interesting to see that MoO is actually an 'extended' version after all!
corky100

Postby omj » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:07 pm

What is pink noise?

(I know what white noise is.)
Everyone's normal until you've met them
omj

Postby Dresden » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:21 pm

omj wrote:What is pink noise?

A Graham Norton chat show.
Dresden
Major contributor

Postby omj » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:23 pm

Apart from that.
Everyone's normal until you've met them
omj

Postby latex » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:36 pm

I wonder how many people have just gone rushing to get Maid of Orleans on to replay that intro again, me included :D

Facinating to get a perception of how it actually came about and was created.
latex

Postby Stephanie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:39 pm

latex wrote:I wonder how many people have just gone rushing to get Maid of Orleans on to replay that intro again, me included :D

Facinating to get a perception of how it actually came about and was created.

You needed to replay the intro Latex? I thought it would still be fresh in your mind from all the gigs!

Have to agree with Nicky it is certainly a very haunting intro - sends shivers up my spine just to think about it.
Stephanie

Postby dazzler » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:56 pm

Funny detail: the outro of Maid Of Orleans was used at the end
of a Flemish radio broadcast during the mid 80s.
That broadcast was on sunday somewhere beteen 11am and 1pm.

They interviewed people in the studio who had ... gone through ...
a burning hell ... fire ... :shock: :shock: so the music fitted the program very well.
People told their stories about pain, loss or grief and how they learnt from it.

:lol: True story!!! :lol:
Last edited by dazzler on Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby Dresden » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:56 pm

omj wrote:Apart from that.

Just for you cos I adore your avatar.. :oops:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_noise

Hope that's clearer!
Dresden
Major contributor

Postby dazzler » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:57 pm

double post.
dazzler
Major contributor

Postby abc123 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:03 pm

According to wikipedia:
Pink noise or 1/f noise is a signal or process with a frequency spectrum such that the power spectral density is proportional to the reciprocal of the frequency. The name arises from being intermediate between white noise (1/f0) and red noise (1/f2, more commonly known as Brownian noise).
Within the scientific literature the term 1/f noise is used a little more loosely to refer to any noise with a power spectral density of the form,

where f is frequency and 0 < ? < 2, with ? usually close to 1. These "1/f-like" noises occur widely in nature and are a source of considerable interest in many fields.

Well, I don't know what thet means, but I thought pink noise contains all frequenzes, while white noise has random frequenzes (as nature works).

I know pink noise is used to check the quality of speaker systems, esp in car stereo championships :!:

Also, listen to pink noise at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pink_noise.ogg

...or MoO!
Last edited by abc123 on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm dancing like a windmill
In my own world, that's how i feel
And it goes round and round, round and round and around.

http://www.bonordin.se/
abc123
Major contributor

Postby Dresden » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:07 pm

abc123 wrote:

According to wikipedia:
Pink noise or 1/f noise is a signal or process with a frequency spectrum such that the power spectral density is proportional to the reciprocal of the frequency. The name arises from being intermediate between white noise (1/f0) and red noise (1/f2, more commonly known as Brownian noise).
Within the scientific literature the term 1/f noise is used a little more loosely to refer to any noise with a power spectral density of the form,

where f is frequency and 0 < ? < 2, with ? usually close to 1. These "1/f-like" noises occur widely in nature and are a source of considerable interest in many fields.

Well, I don't know what thet means, but I thought pink noise contains all frequenzes, while white noise has random frequenzes (as nature works).

I know pink noise is used to check the quality of speaker systems, esp in car stereo championships :!:

Also, listen to pink noise at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pink_noise.ogg

...or MoO!

I just posted the link to it 2 posts up from you....yer numbty!!
Dresden
Major contributor

PreviousNext

Return to OMD General Discussion